& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New to Steve Harley

Re:New to Steve Harley 9 years 11 months ago #9244

• cheri
Alan T wrote:
Hi Cheri,
Having seen the pictures posted recently of Mark (Phantom) in this thread (is that "Debora's" scarf you are wearing?) I have just spent a good hour or so flicking through the previous messages. I am not at all surprised that he was amongst the many willing to help any strangers coming to town (apologies for the paraphrase) on their first visit to England, not least if their primary purpose was a Steve Harley show or two. I remember meeting many of his friends at the Birmingham Symphony Hall concert, and thoroughly enjoying the show. I went to the Manchester show on 26th April with a friend of mine and both of us were mightily impressed. Fourth time for me but last night on the train home he was still talking about it. Well one less to convert! All power to Steve!
Regards
Alan
Alan, the scarf in the picture was Phantom's. I think he and Deborah went back and forth for years on whose it really was, due to the fact that in the '70s she lost her scarf at a concert and Phantom found a scarf at the same concert. But, when she saw that picture, she realized that it wasn't her lost scarf after all. :)

You and I met briefly at the concert in Birmingham in 2012. We shared a few minutes during the intermission. Phantom was kind enough to drive my friend Kathy and I back to Milton Keynes where we were staying with a friend of mine. I remember he said that you left the morning after the concert leaving him with the hotel bill!! :D

He was a special person and I have been deeply affected by his passing. :( How are you and Pauline getting on? Perhaps our paths will cross in the future. Thanks so much for saying "hi." :)

Love, Cheri
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:New to Steve Harley 9 years 11 months ago #9342

• cheri
Paul McCartney is coming to Montana on August 5th to a town called Missoula, which is about 140 miles south of here. Scott and I tried to get tickets, but the scalpers have bought up all of the tickets and prices are INSANE, absolutely astronomical! So we won't be going. :( It's too bad because I never got to see the Beatles (my mother wouldn't let me go) and have never seen Paul McCartney live. I hear he puts on a great show.

Anyway, Steve, if Paul McCartney can come to Montana, YOU can come to Montana. ;) Come a little further north to our resort town and knock everybody's socks off!! :)

Cheri

Re:New to Steve Harley 9 years 11 months ago #9350

• cheri
Does anyone have any inkling if Steve is in writing/recording mode at the moment? Didn't he say that he might go to Norway (I think) to stay at a friend's beautiful house, by a lake, wasn't it and hopefully get a major stab at putting out a new CD. Was I dreaming... And it was supposed to be around this time: After Manchester and before Royal Albert Hall. I'm all googly thinking about what amazing things he will tease out of his wonderful, unique brain to surprise and elate us all at once. Sorry, Steve that I was so loud and enthusiastic at The Stables last year--I simply could not contain myself. So, at Bilston I just yelled "Bravo!" (loudly) after every song and tried to behave. I remember clapping enthusiastically at Barry's violin playing on "The Best Years of Our Lives" and making HIM smile. ;)Absolutely LOVED last year's UK set list. No one could ever beat it, except for you, of course.

We have about 8 deer in our back yard grazing and a wonderful golden fox that plays and leaps around the back and side yards to try to flush out gophers and such. Lots of magpies and large, fat robins are multiplying. It is beginning to be the first part of the most beautiful season here. And, we have FOUR seasons, rather than two, like California.

Anyway, is there any timeframe for recording this proposed new CD? Or is there too much to do between now and the next symphony hall concerts? My very favorite is definitely the full rock band while sitting in the front row of a smaller size venue. Such great music, such a great man.

Cheri :)

Re:New to Steve Harley 9 years 10 months ago #9385

• Alan T
Hi Cheri, It was nice of you to remember that we met at Birmingham in November 2012. Regarding the hotel bill we did sort that out later on, rest assured! Pauline is coping as well as she can, going back to work on a phased basis and trying to get back to "normality", whatever that is. But there is this great big hole in all our lives now that only Phantom could fill.
I saw Paul McCartney & Wings in '79 at the Hammersmith Odeon in London as part of a series of Concerts for Kampuchea. During the finale (Rockestra theme) I got to see half of the Beatles (Macca and Ringo) and half of Led Zep (Plant and Bonham) all on stage together.
Montana sounds fantastic, not a bit like Essex at all, funny that!
Hopefully one day our paths will cross again, most likely at a Steve Harley concert, and most likely this side of the pond, but if it does happen on your side, well you never know do you?
All the best to you and Scott,
Alan

Re:New to Steve Harley 9 years 6 months ago #9784

• cheri
Hi, everybody. I just want to say that this will be the first time in four years that I will NOT be at The Stables, or in England to see Steve. Boo hoo!! :( Circumstances just do not allow it at this time. I hope to come back to see my favorite band and party with you guys. If anyone is going to The Stables, please please let me know how it all goes. I want to know everything that happens. And if anyone goes backstage to talk with Steve and/or the band, will you please give him a hug and a kiss on the cheek and tell him that I'm so disappointed that I couldn't be there this year. It's killing me, and you all don't know just how lucky you are to only have to hop in a car or a train to follow him around to any or all of his concerts as you wish. It's a very hard logistical enterprise for me to make my trips to England happen, but of course I did it for the love of Steve Harley and they were some of the best experiences of my life. Getting to meet the fans, who all seem like I've known you forever, and having the thrilling and joyous experience of seeing a Cockney Rebel concert live. Know that I'm with you in heart. I'm still alive, by the way!! Maybe gone, but I certainly don't want to be forgotten. Hope this current UK tour knocks your socks off, and let me know how it all plays out, okay? :)

Love, Cheri

Re:New to Steve Harley 9 years 6 months ago #9785

• GedKen
cheri wrote:
Does anyone have any inkling if Steve is in writing/recording mode at the moment?

How do Cheri,

earlier in the year I recall Steve talking about maybe going into the studio in July and recording an album. I have no idea if it happened though.