Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lay me down

Lay me down 11 months 3 weeks ago #13209

• Jem 75
Part 2 of my posts here on this thread:

LAY ME DOWN

Free association (by a real fan) after considering the lyrics again (just now):
Relationship – with another – with self – with audience – with a mix of each – tiny fragments of afore mentioned, together with a free-rein poet..?
The top line vocal seems to shoot well past an octave in distance, this is crying out, throwing off, dynamic…

I am assuming (no I’m pretty sure it’s his playing, even allowing for the possibility that the song was written before 1976, or 1975) the Hammond organ playing is by Duncan Mackay. I used to have a Hammond (but had never been able to play it like him – I didn’t put the time in or, start early enough – I didn’t really want ‘it’ – one has to be true to the person [they] are). Stuart Elliott’s drumming the typical (for him) high standard – but on that track it could have Lindsay Elliott’s involvement (percussive)? One or both brothers.

It’s an interesting track. A strong track. Harley avoided repeating himself throughout his career. I recall one newspaper interview (I think it was a Sunday, but back in 1978, a couple of years after this track, so I can’t be sure) but Steve said something to the effect that he could have had more hits (had he worked to formula based on already successful songs). He’s more open, honest - but still, instinctive.

Back to study, for me…
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Lay me down 2 months 1 week ago #13258

• Jem 75
Going back to my previous post but one, if I was to increase my favourite tracks to 14, I'd add 'Panorama' to 'the Bakers Dozen':

www.steveharley.com/forum/7-welcome-mat/...ewis-dies-at-72.html

This is, for me, Steve & Cockney Rebel at their funkiest, a sort of Rebel meets Bowie, 'Young Americans' vibe.

If Cockney Rebel are able to tour again, say 2025 (?) I'd love to hear them do this track. James could maybe use a synth to replicate the horn parts, or maybe Harley could bring in a sax player for a one-off tour, groovy baby! Two backing vocalists (I would suggest female - the higher sound as lovely [late] Linda Lewis et al) would, in my view, sound better, as on the original recording.

X

Viva Harley, Viva Rebel!!!

ADDENDA

Again with reference to my other thread, 'Harley/Ferry parallel', the female vocalists on the '...Best Years...' album are akin to Roxy's Sirens (1975, also). The higher voices add another layer of depth to the work, for an overall better sound.

If I was to increase my Rebel favourites then from 14 to 15, I'd have to include
'All Men Are Hungry' (Harley, 1976). Wisdom beyond his 25 years...X

www.steveharley.com/forum/5-forum-questi...thin-the-psyche.html

EDIT 17 March 24: I couldn't leave it at 15. For me, 'All In A Life's Work' (Harley, 1996) has to be in there. The lyric is focused, heartfelt as well as mindful, no 'fit-in' lyrics, at all. I wouldn't be surprised if this was Steve's favourite (?) on his album, 'Poetic Justice' (1996). It's certainly mine on what is in any case, a strong album. Made at a time when the internet was in its infancy (for most) and before the music industry changed forever, as a consequence...

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...h-of-later-gems.html

EDIT 17 March 24 (2):

www.steveharley.com/videos/steve-harley-cockney-rebel.html
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by Jem 75. Reason: 17-03-24 (2) Ha, I could find at least 20 (link added)!

Re:Lay me down 1 month 21 hours ago #13266

• StefanieR
GREAT Sampler of photos! Thank you.