Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Timeless Flight - inherent within the psyche?

Timeless Flight - inherent within the psyche? 6 months 3 weeks ago #13251

• Jem 75
If it is, then the pleasure principle (Freud, S, 1856-1939) has the opportunity to be satisfied, repeatedly, especially if one is healthy. The reality principle (Freud) may temper this somewhat (I can say so in my own case), once 60 years of age is reached. I can remember my Mum telling me that when she was 60, that was the first time she thought; "I'm getting on" ('Northern', for 'I'm getting older'). She had another thirty five years of 'flight' and all but the last couple, pretty good. She reached just beyond my own sixtieth birthday (her youngest son).

(I believe) that this is the magic within Steve Harley's occupation. Every gig is like a timeless flight, not just for Steve and his excellent band (whatever combination of players), but for we, his audience, too.

I think 'this' is also about libido (in several different ways), not just the bands, but the audiences, too. I mean, Rod the Mod (Stewart) is, I think, an excellent example - he even gave the legendary Mick Jagger, a 'run for his money'. EDIT ADDENDUM: Anyway, what I'm referring to here is not, necessarily, the physical sexual life of individuals, but is what Freud referred to as 'the Scopophilic Instinct'. This is more of a late nineteenth, very early twentieth century term, today, largely out of use. In essence, I'm talking about the libido (naturally) arising from (frequently) being looked at.

My Dad (who died just over a decade ago), once said to me, when I mentioned to him a few aches and pains, "If you're feeling it (in your fifties), you'll really notice it in your sixties" and he was right, but I've nothing to complain about, my genes and lifestyle choices have left me, to date, in reasonable shape, for my age.

The psyche doesn't preoccupy itself with its own mortality, there is an obvious evolutionary advantage (Darwin, 1809-1882) in this, and I think this only begins to slacken its grip, once over the approximate age of 60 (this too may be an evolutionary advantage, in telling the self, it has to adjust and recognise certain limitations!)

Five years ago, when I happened to be out with someone much younger, with high functioning autism, we found ourselves in a confrontation with an aggressive yob - I had to protect the younger person and myself. As the yob ran towards us (the initial confrontation occurred in a nearby cafe, minutes before) and I gestured to my known to stand at a little distance, the next minute or two (probably no more) seemed like a timeless flight, as he pulled my hood over my face and called me an "old bastard" (the first time anyone had ever said that to me, lol).

Personally, I've never seen anyone so angry, and he'd completely 'lost it', for a minute or two. My training enabled me to keep him mainly from my body - though there were obvious impacts with the struggle - but I knew that if he hit me (or worse), I'd fight back (but hard). He didn't, thankfully, and we all walked away, to continue our own 'flights', unharmed (only a hood had a few less stitches in it). This was all happening on a high street and most cars just kept driving (if not all - I was too busy to really notice).

Moving back from 2018 to 1975, I remember the joy of Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel, on Christmas TOTP (where Steve mixed up slightly, the lyrics "...I know what faith is, AGAIN...), Steve must have felt on top of the world (?) George Ford was on top performing smiley form, Duncan Mackay's (also live, as it all was) keyboards were (using my own often used phrase), endorphin producing, Jim Cregan (with Steve) looked also as if he was on top of the world and enjoying the craic, and Stuart Elliott, well, simply one of the best British drummers we have! It was only natural that, the Timeless Flight, would follow. I vaguely remember one reviewer of the album saying, 'Strange days...' I say, ethereal...

Stay your way. X
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: Edit Addendum 19/11/23
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Timeless Flight - inherent within the psyche? 6 months 2 weeks ago #13252

• Jem 75
Continuing from my preceding para, I realised after some listening to the album this morning, that "Understand" contains two short musical phrases that connect directly with "Mr Raffles" and the preceding album. I guess this may have been in my unconscious, as I was writing the initial post.

Mr Raffles is the song I remember from my date with KT, either during late June or very early July, 1975. This was part of my own timeless flight and the album (which I hadn't heard at the time of its initial release, the following year). Everything changed (pardon the pun), as it had to...

"...Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight..." (Harley, 1975/6)

Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: provided by Chrysalis to Youtube
Please login/register to post on the forum.