Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steve discusses life on the road

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1469

• ALEXA
HI Maxwell,

I was at Portmeirion on Wednesday. Steve's version of Tumbling Down was perfect, I think what his PA meant was that it was a spontaneous decision to include in the set. That's what live music is all about.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1470

• cockneyrebel1
B) Hi Maxwell.
I am in no way a "blind fan" who wishes to "feed SH's ego", as you suggest.
I am a reasonably well educated adult with very strong opinions of my own who has little interest in "saying the right thing" or appeasing the ego of anyone.
But my totally honest opinion is that SH does not go on stage "under-reheasred", and the live sets that I have seen are superb and would back up the opinion that whatever amount of rehearsing SH does or does not do, it is appropriate. If he makes a spontaneous decision to add to or take away from the set list at the last minute, then surely that is the sign of a consumate professional?

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1471

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
VERY WELL PUT COCKNEYREBEL1, LET US NOT FORGET THAT STEVE IS A FOLK SINGER AT HEART AND AS HE'S WRITTEN MOST OF THE SONGS HE SINGS HIMSELF I THINK THAT ENTITLES HIM TO PERFORM THEM ANY WAY HE CHOOSES EVEN IF THEY SOUND [to you, maxwell)UNREHEARSED. STEVE WORKS VERY HARD TO GET IT RIGHT, FOR HIM AND FOR ANYONE WHO PAYS HARD EARNED MONEY FOR THE EXPERIENCE OF SEEING AND HEARING HIM PLAY LIVE AND SPONTANEOUS.

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1472

• Alsaautomotive
I would hardly consider myself someone whom would pander to anyone's ego! I neither have the need nor the will (or the inclination to be frank,) to attempt to engender or ingratiate myself to anyone!! - Just take a second to see what we do for a living & the kind of people we deal with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maxwell - the reason I found your original post somewhat upsetting was that it seemed you had not actually experienced the show (any SH show) live & had made your assumption based on comments raised by SH re-rehearsing & his attitude to the press & thereby extending that as showing a certain contempt towards the public.
I think if you read this thread in the cold light of day, then you might just stop a second before pressing to enter a comment; the 'web is a very easy place to make statements with 'selective' reasoning or without true objectivity.
IF SH is contemptuous of the public/fans (& I deliberately highlight IF) then does one even care? If the experience one has at his show is a positive one, then does it actually matter?
The answer is no!
I, for one, believe SH genuinely enjoys the performance & gets a helluva lot back from the reaction he gets.
The reason I highlighted in my earlier post that I am a VERY recent convert is that the one gig that 'made' Glastonbury for us (as a whole family) was Steve's. I was never a massive SH fan - yes I had his 'Best Of' amongst my collection - but I have every release by any number of other bands! If you could take a little of your time to read the report I wrote, then maybe (just maybe - if you have the openness) you might 'get it'.

This post is in no way intended to promote an argument nor to seek a reply. But please Maxwell, if you are going to quote or pick quotes from within then please take in the post as a whole.

Best wishes, Al.

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 6 months ago #1545

• geeza
I have seen Steve with band and without and the man is the ultimate professional who has stated on many occassions how lucky and privaleged he is and how grateful he is to his fans.
I believe after all this time he probably dos'nt need to religously rehearse especially the old stuff but he obviously does spend a great deal of time as there are the new songs plus a set changes all the time,as for timing or mistakes etc every performer has an off night or makes mistakes no matter who they are noone is perfect thank fuck!