Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Steve discusses life on the road

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1450

• cockneyrebel1
B) I've watched the "Come Back All Is Forgiven" video and cannot think of a single track during which Harley is "clearly under-rehearsed and out of time".
I do not subscribe to the view that we, the fans, follow the man blindly: I think that's rather patronising, to be honest.
But, as a loyal fan, I have never once been disappointed in a live performance. If you are disappointed, why pay money and go? You have a choice!!!! B)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1454

• raffles
Maxwell...condemned man? You take yourself a little seriously surely? Glastonbury, this year, Sebastian??? I look forward to hearing Steve'sd own thoughts on your silly remarks. In the interview he just says he hates rehearsing, not that he doesn't reheartse!! Harley is a great Live performer. One of the very best. Your rather pompous ("owes it to the fans....."!) opinion is incredible, and Steve and his brilliant band will probably be laughing their heads off if they've heard about this Forum thread. Seen them dozens of times over the last 15 years...fantastic every time.

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1456

• raffles
YouTube vids are shot on phones, the sound isn't plugged into them! There are delays and allsorts of problems. Nobody should criticise a live performance based on a fan's phone film. He's never out-of-time. He's a brilliant musician with 35 years experience.

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1459

• Maelitta
I had a look at this video too. Nothing in his talk shocks me really.
All the artists and specially pop-rock artists are fed up not only rehearsing but also singing for the 400.000 time the same song ...
Steve just confessed it about the rehearsals :laugh:
I dare not imagine what he really thinks when he starts Make Me Smile :evil:

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1462

• Alsaautomotive
Having been lucky enough to be at Glasto this year I can say quite categorically that neither did 'Sebastian' come across as in any way under-rehearsed nor did SH's commitment to the performance & giving us all a truly memorable time raise any negatives. (My totally unbiased [i.e before I joined this excellent forum :) ] opinion can be read on a motor related forum here.......http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=120&t=871553&mid=94973&nmt=Glastonbury%202010.%20(VERY%20pic%20&%20text%20heavy!) go to 'Day 2' !)

I can absolutely understand why some fans could become a little disenchanted by a certain attitude to the press, but we - in our business life - experience similar issues, being near the top of our profession and very high profile in certain quarters makes us a very easy target for others with an agenda of their own (whether that agenda being to sell more mags or rival business's wishing to increase their own profile etc) & I treat certain comments, people & a great deal of internet 'chat' with the contempt it deserves!

I think we can ALL of us say that there are aspects of our chosen profession that we dislike & avoid if we can, however if one is a naturally talented & gifted performer then surely one can foresake a degree of rehearsal??
I have always considered myself a true music lover & have 'discovered' SH live quite late in life; so I do feel this is an extremely relevant post!

Just one man's opinion, but I did find the original post a little upsetting if I am honest.

Al.

Re:Steve discusses life on the road 13 years 7 months ago #1468

• maxwell
Hi All,
Since my last post I have been accused of being patronising, not knowing when songs are (obviously) out of time (cockneyrebel1)
Taking myself too seriously and being pompous (because I would expect a performer no matter how much talent and experience (and we all know he has loads of both) he has to put on the best possible show) (raffles)
And for suggesting the same in my original post Alsaautomotive has found it upsetting.
It was mentioned that SH may read my "silly remarks", well, I hope he does, because if he listened to a fans of his music (and I am one) and who could be objective instead of just the blind fans feeding his ego then he would be playing decent sized gigs instead of the "intimate" 1000 seaters.

If I am soooo wrong about him and his lack of time being spent rehearsing why is his P.A. admitting to him changing his set as he went along with the band not even being prepared for Tumbling Down? (Amazing night at Port Meirion link)
I look forward to any decent educated replies.
M