Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: S Harley & Cockney Rebel Concert London 80s/90s

Re:S Harley & Cockney Rebel Concert London 80s/90s 10 years 11 months ago #7749

• Coleman
Hi

Doncaster Dome 5th June 1990, I was there, and what a night, I still have the ticket. It was great when he asked for requests and I shouted out "Sing Sebastian". He looked across to me, smiled, then the band played. I will never forget that night.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:S Harley & Cockney Rebel Concert London 80s/90s 10 years 11 months ago #7754

• GedKen
just noticed this poster on ebay!

The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sent

It's a rare poster for a 1974 Cockney Rebel gig in Torquay Town Hall in which the (local?) promoter highlights the added luxury of heated concerts seats..... in July. The bar must have been busy that night!

Re:S Harley & Cockney Rebel Concert London 80s/90s 10 years 11 months ago #7761

• GedKen
looking through some of the '74 dates can anyone expand on the notes with two of them. The Aylesbury gig on the 25th May had been rebooked following a riot! Does anyone know anything about the riot? Was it a Friars only happening or something more widespread? At the Swansea gig on the 29th of June the band were 'sacked'? Any more info. on what happened there?

Re:S Harley & Cockney Rebel Concert London 80s/90s 10 years 11 months ago #7765

• GedKen
Thanks for the early '70s listings Mr Raffles - wonderful, they include early European dates.

I can't seem to cut and paste Excel into the post. Erm, is there a site related email address I can send the spreadsheet too once I have tidied it all up? Please email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and hopefully we can get it verified and up onto the site.

Re:S Harley & Cockney Rebel Concert London 80s/90s 10 years 11 months ago #7833

• GedKen
I came across an explanation of the Aylesbury Friars gig that caused a riot in early '74.

According to the NME the Aylesbury Friars gig of the 25th of May was the first date if a British tour (originally meant to be finishing at London Victoria Palace) to promote The Psychomodo (released 2nd of June). 1,200 applied for 700 tickets and 400 had to be turned away from the venue on the night (which I presume led to the rioting?).

The NME article doesn't mention whether the gig was cancelled or went ahead (anybody know?) however Cockney Rebel scheduled an additional date at the Friars (on the 6th of June).

Indeed, due to the level of demand for tickets, many more dates were subsequently added to the original tour schedule.

Re:S Harley & Cockney Rebel Concert London 80s/90s 10 years 11 months ago #7834

• jollyroger
Ged, there's a pic of a poster in the Birmingham brochure, with the 4 (FOUR!!) dates Cockney Rebel played at Aylesbury Friars that year - 1974:
Saturday January 5th
Saturday May 25th
Thursday June 6th &
Saturday August 24th
Steve has been quoted as saying that "the band really broke out of Aylesbury Friars"
Reg