Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Symphony Hall

Re:Symphony Hall 11 years 4 months ago #7002

• mick_mckenzie
Nice review.

I like Mark's comparison to the Mott the Hoople reunion shows in 2009; something else some of us old-timers with our heads still in the early 70s waited a long time for. All good things are worth waiting for, so now it's the waiting for the acoustic tour.

Mick
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Symphony Hall 11 years 4 months ago #7003

• GedKen
Thanks for the Times piece buchanan17 - I'm not a subscriber, I could only get the photo and the first few lines.

Looking at the photo I wonder if I can ask a favour Rachel?

I do some voluntary fundraising work for a small charity in East London called 'Step Up' (stepupcharity.org.uk). We were mentioned on the recent BBC's Children In Need telethon.

We are always up against it financially (we even have to operate a waiting list for clients needing support due to a lack of resources).

I wonder if I could be allowed to auction off the iconic bowler hat Steve used in the show in Birmingham, with the funds raised going to Step Up? At the very least it could fund more face-to-face counseling which would help reduce the waiting list.

Hope it is OK to ask? :unsure: I don't want to put anybody on the spot.

Re:Symphony Hall 11 years 4 months ago #7004

• Gilly
It was a wonderful concert, a dream come true: the first two albums with orchestra! And it sounded as good as I had hoped for! Brought me to tears at times!
Well worth the cut-short holidays and the travel from Hamburg and I'll definitely come over again for any other orchestra shows.
There were two or three things I didn't like so much f.i. playing songs not from the first two albums. I know there were reasons why they were played but they didn't work for me at all and killed the mood. Though with the next songs all was forgiven and I was in heaven again.
And I couldn't care less about some forgotten lyrics - that's live and I love it! But I think Ray is entitled to tell if it disappointed him. To put him down because you don't agree with him is quite childish.
The symphony hall was a fine venue, the choir and orchestra - such pros, Steve Norman and Andrew Powell were a great joy to watch/listen to and the band did their very best.
Not to mention Steve's singing, he really threw his heart in!
It was pure bliss and all I can say is: Thank you so much, Steve!

Re:Symphony Hall 11 years 4 months ago #7006

• Maggie Jones
I'm fairly new to the internet site, but have been a dedicated fan since the beginning, really. I feel that perhaps the "lost lyrics" comment was most hurtful because he talked like he was a personal friend of Steve's which is highly unlikely, and the wording was pretty tactless and did come across as self-important. Anyway, we're still discussing the show at home and recalling new details which bring back such great memories of a special night. Maybe the symbolism of "Stranger Comes To Town" came to SH as went into that Condor moment in front of us all? "He knows I wanna please.." etc. Just a thought.

Re:Symphony Hall 11 years 4 months ago #7007

• ipswich
GedKen,
Great idea.
If it get's the 'go ahead'
I'll start the ball rolling at £1,000

Re:Symphony Hall 11 years 4 months ago #7010

• Chopper
What a great night, if only it could be done again. Does anyone know if a dvd is coming out as i saw at the back some recording people with camaras and such, lets hope so.