Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Anticipation of a new album

Re:The Anticipation of a new album 14 years 3 weeks ago #502

• paza
Yes Stewart and Steve, we've all been there...
Timeless Flight.... ahh... it is one of my top five most played albums throughout the years... and I recall my own fascination over the lyrics (especially "Nothing Is Sacred" and "All The Men Are Hungry"- they made me dare to write my own lyrics for a local band, and that made me dare continue writing over the years...), the soft dreamy bittersweet sound, the strange but lovely klicking sound fromk Duncan Mackay's keyboard, the intonation in the singing style - Steves trademark - that made the fan i am... "oh-la-la it's so fun to be de-pre-eessed.."
It sure was an Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel-album, but still it stands out as something completely different - it's is an unique piece of work that album. Underrated in history, but a master piece.
How wonderful, then, when in Stockholm 2006(? - right--- the years have gone by in no time) "All The Me..." were performed. It was worth 30 years in the waiting room.. "outside a Stockholm café at the river's edge" ("river", Steve?).
So.. for the upcomming tour.. Play the whole damn album as a set piece.. lol

My anticipations are, as for everything else, my own.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:The Anticipation of a new album 14 years 3 weeks ago #503

• Cocnerebel
Great posting Paza and nice geography lesson about the "river" ;)

Re:The Anticipation of a new album 14 years 3 weeks ago #504

• Hobo With A Gin.
  • Ian.
Come back with me to 2nd April, 1975.
A 14 year old boy is brimming with excitement, anticipating his first Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel gig at Leeds Town Hall.
The longest day ever at school.
Time to catch the bus, checking and double checking that the ticket is still in his Levi jacket pocket.

Climbing the town hall steps with hundreds of others.

Buying the brochure, badge and scarf at the merchandise stall, money saved for weeks from his paper round.

Finding the seat at the side of the stage, the lights dim, and Sailor are on. Hurry up, they were OK, but not who we'd all assembled to see. Set ends, light come back up, people wander, mingle, anticipate.

Then it's showtime, the lights dim, the crowd erupts and there they are ! Weeks of waiting and it is happening ! The years have dimmed the memory of set list etc, but there are still visions, memories of that night burned into my mind forever.
Steve's face, lit up with red and green spotlights, the shadow dancing on the ceiling, 'Back To The Farm' intense, dramatic, spellbinding.
The rush to the front as the recently familiar opening of 'That Song' rang out, not long since it was Number 1.
All too soon, it was over, the crowds spilling out into the night, the chorus 'Oh dear, look what they've done to the blues, blues, blues' being carried out onto the streets with them. It continued on the bus, maybe 20 fans, keeping the refrain going.

So, 35 years on, that boy is still anticipating the new album, the next live date with excitement, even after 70-odd shows.
These days, the gig is looked forward to, enjoyed even more because of the cameraderie of the many fans I've met through the years.
I wonder what that boy would have said if he had been told that night that 'The Best Years Of Our Lives' would still hold the fascination, the admiration and, to Hell with it, the love for the artist and his music, his musicians and the many friends I've made on the journey.

Be seeing you !

Re:The Anticipation of a new album 14 years 4 days ago #558

• Graeme
Loved the posting Stew. It took me back to being your proof reader a few years ago. Anyway, after listening to Jack reading his story yesterday you're almost as good as him.....almost. Thanks for the good time and beers at Griffin Towers, Griffin City yesterday. p.s That boy's a star!!!! B)

Re:The Anticipation of a new album 14 years 2 days ago #566

• essexboybilly
having just lestened again to the Jools show, I've got a raging thirst on for this new al;bum. Steve sounds on the top of his form, at the peak. Loved the Faith and Virtue track particularly.

Re:The Anticipation of a new album 13 years 11 months ago #862

• stewart g
To conclude....
Loving this new album,brilliant words and every time I play it I hear something new.
To quote
" When you find your lot
in a crowded wood
with no way through the trees,
and that old sweet promise of something good
pulls you to your knees,
well.it's alright
if love don't let you down
safe on a good night,
Stranger Comes To Town"
:)