Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What else are you listening to at the moment?

What else are you listening to at the moment? 6 years 1 week ago #12690

• MirrorFreak52
Thanks so much, Stella, for posting this video for me. Not a big fan of Betty Boop, but love the cartoons from that era; a bit trippy, I must say! This is Jack White's version of "St. James Infirmary," with somewhat amended lyrics from Cab Calloway's version. There were a number of Betty Boop cartoons produced back in the 1930s to accompany Cab Calloway's recordings ( shown as short films at the cinema back in the day?) Jack White's version combines clips from SJI , Minnie The Moocher, etc., spliced together to accompany his version of the song. There are some great film clips of Cab Calloway's live performances posted to YouTube, including several of this song. Another great is "Jumpin' Jive," featuring the amazing and incomparable Nicholas Brothers. A song related to SJI is "House of the Rising Sun," both having derived from an old folk ballad, "The Unfortunate Rake." Love SJI; never tire of listening to it.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 week ago by MirrorFreak52.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

What else are you listening to at the moment? 6 years 1 week ago #12691

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Just for you, Sue.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MirrorFreak52

What else are you listening to at the moment? 6 years 6 days ago #12692

• cheri
The Betty Boop cartoon and Cab Calloway video were great!! Thanks, Stella. When you listen to the cartoons of today compared with the old ones, we actually were exposed to some sophisticated music, even if the cartoons were silly. There's no comparison with the current ones. :)

Cheri

What else are you listening to at the moment? 6 years 6 days ago #12693

• MirrorFreak52
Yes, once again, many thanks to Stella for posting the videos of both Jack White's & Cab Calloway's versions of "St. James Infirmary." to provide examples of what I am mostly listening to at the moment. Cab Calloway was brilliant, and before his time, really, a consummate singer/songwriter, and performer; an original, much like the man to whom this website is devoted. Jack White being another brilliant artist, who experiments with a range of different styles. Betty Boop, was banned from broadcast in the USA, in the late 1930s or early 1940s, once broadcast standards were enacted, but it's about the music here. Many thanks again, Stella, for providing these musical examples for me.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 days ago by MirrorFreak52. Reason: Computer glitch typo

What else are you listening to at the moment? 5 years 9 months ago #12786

• RichW
I'm a driving instructor for my sins and recently had a new pupil start. In conversation it came out her dad is a big Ian Dury fan and I mentioned the Butlins gig in november where The Blockheads play on the same day as Steve. One thing led to another and it came out she can play guitar and sings a bit too. She has written over 150 songs and the dream is obviously to make it. Well I had a shock when I checked You Tube out. Its criminal that this girl is waitressing when she has talent like this. She is 7 years older now and 7 years better.
Lartey Sisters, Mona Lisa Twins, Amelia Coburn, ...Kelly launder maybe? Check her out :)

Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by RichW. Reason: mistake

What else are you listening to at the moment? 5 years 9 months ago #12788

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
I saw Julie Felix at the Pizza Express with Steve on the Thursday, rehearsing a Dylan song to sing with him on the Sunday. She gave me a flier for her 80th celebration concert tonight at the Charing Cross Theatre and we've booked two tickets for tonight.
I'm really looking forward to it. She has a beautiful voice still and I haven't been able to stop playing this song with Leonard Cohen.
It's a song Steve could cover perfectly with the right person.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.