& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: HOLMFIRTH,4/6/10....BEST EVER.

Re:HOLMFIRTH,4/6/10....BEST EVER. 13 years 11 months ago #1093

• crazy horse
Khalekan wrote:
:laugh:

After all these years it takes a French bird to decipher that line for me...I could never make it out :laugh:

I was too busy polishing the floor with kerosene.
the lyrics are on the inner sleeve on vinyl,and on cd :cheer:
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:HOLMFIRTH,4/6/10....BEST EVER. 13 years 11 months ago #1096

• Khalekan
Aha.....that explains it.

I never had a vinyl copy of Best Years back in the day.

I only had a cassette and I could never be bothered reading the lyrics of songs off've cassette sleeves ae the writing was way too small.

By the time I bought it on CD it never occurred to me to look at the lyrics to that song.....and have long laboured under the illusion that the floor was polished with kerosene.... :silly:

(says a man who has only recently found out that Van the Man's "Brown Eyed Girl" doesn't begin with the line "Hey there amigo" :blush: )

Re:HOLMFIRTH,4/6/10....BEST EVER. 13 years 11 months ago #1097

• Rebel
Brighton Dome was only half full, and I also did'nt see any posters, even at the venue itself. In fact you would have not known SH was on. The Dome is in a great area, full of bars packed with students. A few leaflets in each bar might have helped put a few more bums on seats.

Re:HOLMFIRTH,4/6/10....BEST EVER. 13 years 11 months ago #1098

• Khalekan
Same in Belfast to an extent, Rebel.

At Christmas I was bought a ticket for Rod Stewart who was playing Belfast on the 16th May.

Just after the New Year I saw posters advertising the Cockney Rebel gig at the Spring and Airbrake a week or so after Rod.

Great, I thought.

Two of my three all time favourite singers appearing in town a week (ish) apart.

And Jim Cregan has toured with both.

(Scott Walker is the third member of my "Holy Trinity" since you ask :) )

The posters disappeared within a few weeks and around March I though the gig must have been cancelled.....I called into the Spring and Airbrake and they assurred me the gig was still on.

But I never saw another poster advertising it, save among a list of events on the display board outside the venue.

Anyway, on the night one could have paid on the door and whilst there was a good crowd there and all the seats appeared to be taken at this small venue (which Steve referred to as a "glorified pub" from the stage :laugh: :laugh: ),up on the dancefloor near the stage we had all the room in the world, which was great for us.

There is no doubt that Steve's tours are not as widely publicised as they could be, IMO.

Still.....I kind of like the fact that Steve is very much a secret treasure for those of us who have been there for most, if not all, of our lives.

Re:HOLMFIRTH,4/6/10....BEST EVER. 13 years 11 months ago #1100

• Maelitta
Khalekan wrote:
Still.....I kind of like the fact that Steve is very much a secret treasure for those of us who have been there for most, if not all, of our lives.[/quote]

Sure, but it would do no harm if he could sell lots of records. Then, may be he would be able to make and sell a "collector", kind of boxed set with unpublished pictures, unreleased songs, etc ... I would love that :woohoo:

Re:HOLMFIRTH,4/6/10....BEST EVER. 13 years 11 months ago #1101

• Maelitta
Khalekan wrote:
I never had a vinyl copy of Best Years back in the day.

I do !!! B)