Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A suggested venue (return to) for Steve & Cockney

A suggested venue (return to) for Steve & Cockney 10 months 3 weeks ago #13230

• Jem 75
Firstly, very well done to (Stella and Jasmine) the ‘Happy Days’ Team, with their charitable efforts (link below):

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...-cancer-charity.html

Secondly, thanks to Jeff68 for an excellent review of Steve & The Acoustic Band’s 26th instant gig (link below):

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...za-express-live.html

Thirdly, kind of linked to Michael’s thread (link below):

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...ve-harley-pages.html

[I’ve now finished my current health sciences module commitment (and my ‘other matter’ is comfortably progressing)]

On 23rd May 2023, we saw and heard Spark’s opening gig of their current World Tour. Sasha booked it for us quite some time ago, and it was fantastic – Oxford’s New Theatre was packed. The music was great, the delivery sensational and the Mael brothers, both in their seventies, like Steve, Stuart, Bryan (Ferry), Andy (Mackay), Paul (Thompson), Phil (Manzanera), Tim (Finn), Noel (Crombie), Eddie (Rayner), Malcolm (Green) and Nigel (Griggs), were powerful!

We saw/heard Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel at the same venue in 1997 (Sash was with me then though I have a feeling I may have seen/heard Steve et al twice that year, that second time, alone…).

ANYWAY, may I make a suggestion to Steve & Cockney Rebel, to keep this (New Theatre, Oxford) venue in mind for a return, sometime in the next couple of years? The FULL band. It has to include Stuart Elliott (I feel), co-founder of COCKNEY REBEL. I can’t see it being any less triumphant than Cheltenham, 19/12/22 (link below), if it happened:

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...t-at-cheltenham.html

THE TIME, feels right. The review of Liverpool’s recent gig (local press) for Steve & The Acoustic Band covered this point – the fans that grew up in the 60’s and 70’s want to see and hear more. Google it. That reviewer was right, I think. Either way (Steve), I know you’ll go your own way. (As your friend, Marc, might have said, had he still been here), Right on man!
Last Edit: 10 months 2 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: Further considered improvements
Please login/register to post on the forum.

A suggested venue (return to) for Steve & Cockney 10 months 2 days ago #13234

• Jem 75
I am hoping that a return to Cheltenham Town Hall, might be on the cards at some point, for the whole Cockney Rebel, in 2024 sometime.

Another venue, that's sprung to mind, that I don't think Steve/Cockney Rebel/Acoustic Band have played, is the Swan Theatre, Stratford-upon-Avon. I saw/heard Gaz Coombes (formerly, Supergrass) alone there in 2016.

I thought that might appeal to the wordsmith poet lyricist that is Harley. Only 1 hour 10min for me/us, on a good road and from the other direction, only about 20miles from our (English) second city, Birmingham.

I'm not going to be able to get up North soon enough for Lowther Pavilion (very near my older brother's base), but I'm looking forward to getting to see Steve (and preferably, the full Cockney Rebel) sometime in 2024, if not before. I will consider a re-visit to London at some point, because I haven't visited our capital since pre-COVID.

Bristol (now) just a bit too far for a night (with return).

I'm sure that I'll see/hear them again in 2024, if there are sufficient dates and I'm looking forward to it...
Please login/register to post on the forum.