Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Harley & Cockney Rebel - Triumphant at Cheltenham!

Harley & Cockney Rebel - Triumphant at Cheltenham! 1 year 4 months ago #13179

• Jem 75
It's after 00:30 and having driven back from Cheltenham (to West Oxfordshire), I've too much adrenalin to go to sleep yet (and lucky because I don't have to be up early tomorrow).

WELL, I've left it too long! THE BEST they've been (including '92, '97, '98 and definitely, 2000). Harley, at 71, still has the HEART (he still enjoys performing and the interaction with his crowd - who, myself included naturally, love him). I was very happy for STEVE, the band, his audience and myself.

STUART Elliott on drums! He is world class. I never thought I'd have the privilege to hear him live. Thanx Stuart. When James (keyboards and other) was 'going off' (occasionally on a 'jazz trip', during Sebastian, for instance), Stuart's support was magnificent, it's easy to see why he's worked with Kate Bush (et al), as well as being a co-founder of Cockney Rebel (Pimlico, as a locale, and a very appealing one, was involved in the story, we found out tonight. During my London period of work (1995-2001), that part of London appealed to me, amongst a few others...).

Ollie's bass was 'quietly' solid, David, mandolin, occasional electric guitar was great (I think mandolin - he was on the other side of the stage - I was the 'goon' in the bowler hat - the only one in the hall - standing next to one of the columns, the closest to Barry - as seat A5 was just a tad too close to the speakers - I thought that it might be after seeing/hearing Howard Jones in October) - but this was great because I was out of everyone else's direct line of view and, I could move about!)

BARRY in my view, is the (Roxy Music) equivalent of Eddie Jobson (mainly, 1973 to 1976 and 2019). An amazing musician. It was great to hear Steve playing harmonica. I was AMAZED how strong the vocal still is, Steve. Wow, you were really, in control. The lighting was good. Some of the arrangements were slightly different. The band collectively, were very tight.

The gig started at 19:30 approx. and I think it finished about 22:15 (including a 20 minute break in the set). The set list included tracks culled from, HUMAN MENAGERIE, ...PRIMA DONNA, HOBO...THE BEST YEARS...+ quite a bit more...

Thanks Steve, for letting US (and the recent Zoom crowd) in on who inspired the lyric on Mirror Freak. I loved his work too...

THIS all bodes well for 2023! Just a thank you to Cheltenham Town Hall staff, for facilities, and it was nice to chat to guys from Devon and Stratford-upon-Avon in the crowd (I knew the venue was strategically placed), and everyone got down to boogie for the encore, that track that Steve wished he'd written ten of, you know!

Stay your way, a Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year, to ALL,

Jem H. (aka Jem '75) X

Time for bed.

Oh, P.S. The place was pretty busy, more people than each of my other Harley/Cockney Rebel gigs (since 1992). The hall had seating that went the majority of the length and there were people in all balconies. I was so pleased. Jack, next time if you leave Bonnie Scotland, keep Cheltenham in mind! Have a great New Year (both Jack and Neil).
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: (02/04/23) - I recall hearing Steve's harmonica b4
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Harley & Cockney Rebel - Triumphant at Cheltenham! 1 year 3 months ago #13180

• PaulR
It was great. Really enjoyed it. I was trying to recall my first concert and think it was late 70s in Manchester
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jem 75

Harley & Cockney Rebel - Triumphant at Cheltenham! 1 year 3 months ago #13185

• Jem 75
Hey Paul

Thanks a lot for responding to my thread and I'm glad you witnessed it too, and enjoyed it equally as much!

I was slow off the ground with gigs and didn't see my first until 1980 (by which time Steve/Cockney Rebel were (mostly) off the scene - for reasons Steve is documented as covering (family, a break after the hedonistic 70's and so on). Though he did release a single in 1982 - I Can't Even Touch You and 1986 -...Phantom..., with the great Sarah Brightman, as you probably know).

Interesting that you said your first gig (presumably SH & CR?) late 70's and Manchester. I saw/heard Roxy Music at the Manchester Apollo (as it was then) in January 1981.

Also glad that you recently joined here as a member (I did too this year).

All the very best to you and your family over Christmas and for 2023!

Jem H.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Jem 75.