Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel

New to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 10 years 11 months ago #7922

• Becky
Hi, I have just ordered 'Cavaliers' (An Anthology) and wanted to share my excitement with people who understand. I was 11 when Make Me Smile was at number one and yes, I remember the song and have always loved it. But roll on a few years and it was the Boomtown Rats and Rod Stewart on my bedroom walls (Thanks to my dad I listened to the Stones and have seen them in concert three times).

A couple of months ago I went time travelling, via YouTube, because I wanted to listen to Winter's Tale by David Essex. I saw the thumbnail for 'Smile' (the one where Steve gets the lyrics mixed up, jet lag - apparently!) and the song/performance took my breath away/filled me with happiness; I don't have the words to fully explain, but it lifted me and since then I've been on a crash course on Cockney Rebel - it's been a gas! I downloaded Make Me Smile (The Best of) ordered Stranger Comes To Town and this morning, 'Cavaliers.'

How did I get to 49 without hearing Tumbling Down, Death Trip, Sebastian, Red is a Mean, Mean Colour, Riding the Waves in fact, I might as well just say ALL of Steve and Cockney Rebel's music.

So, this post is to say 'hello' to people who really understand this new found passion and to send out the biggest thanks to Steve and all the musicians for these funny, beautiful, and layered songs.

Trying to stay my way!

Becky x
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:New to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 10 years 11 months ago #7930

• joanna
:cheer:
Hello and welcome to the Happy times ahead.
jo
Smile x

Re:New to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 10 years 11 months ago #7931

• Becky
Thanks for your welcome. I hope I'm posting this correctly - don't use forums, until now, so bit uncertain. Just booked tickets for Greenwich. My daughter said she'd come with me. Very excited - my first Steve Harley concert! Haven't given travel arrangements and possible accommodation a second thought, sure it will sort itself out. Going to try and get tickets for 26th April too. It seems that if you're registered on the site you get first 'pickings.'

All good things,

Becky x

Re:New to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 10 years 11 months ago #7934

• GedKen
Hello and welcome Becky,

I can still remember the tingling, tantalizing thrill of discovering there had been one other Cockney Rebel album before The Psychomodo.... saving up to buy it and, well, it's been to hand ever since.

I envy you the many, many delights you are going to discover for that first time! They will stay with you forever.

And then to see him live for the first time as well. Ah, what a time you have ahead of you. Bliss. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Re:New to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 10 years 11 months ago #7935

• Becky
Thanks for your welcome.

Typed you a reply, but appear to have lost it! Not good on forums because I don't use them. But yes, so excited about Greenwich - not thought it through, but couldn't stop myself - heyho, sure it will be fine.

Can't wait for 'Cavaliers' to arrive. I genuinely can't get over how fantastic SH CR's music is. Usually, start my day by listening to Red is a Mean, Mean, Colour - the YouTube clip from Germany 1976, I think.

I don't understand the 'border' thing; I'm a 'fresher' - I guess because I've only posted a couple of times?

Anyway, thanks again for saying 'hello.' Must go and do something not Cockney Rebel related - difficult though!

All good things,

Becky x

Re:New to Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel 10 years 11 months ago #7936

• RachelPAtoSH
Hi Becky. Welcome to the site. You'll be amazed at how many dedicated and very knowledgable fans are out there, still supporting Steve. Some of the memorabilia you might be interested in is on sale in the website SHOP - T-shirts, CDs, souvenir brochure etc. Enjoy it in here!!
Helen In The Comeuppance Shop