Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Regis Centre 16.9.21 South Downs Folk Festival

Regis Centre 16.9.21 South Downs Folk Festival 2 years 7 months ago #13101

• Usualsuspect
My wife and I had the great pleasure of seeing Steve and his Accoustic set up last night at The Regis Theatre Bognor as part of The South Downs Folk Festival 2021. Steve appeared with of course Barry Wickens, and Oli Hayhurst, Dave Delarre, who I was seeing for the first time. They give a different feel to Steve’s music, which really suit many of his Accoustic songs, in a very melodic way.

The first half of the set was from his latest album albeit nearly 18 months old, the Uncovered album, only now is Steve able to promote it live, what a great album that is.

When Steve sang AE Fond Kiss by Rab Burns he said he would have loved to have written that. Yet Steve has been one of the greatest lyricists of our time, after all he has written such wonderful songs as Coast of Amalfi, Journeys End, and Sebastian, his songs are like stories and create such amazing imagery, he simply takes you on a journey which you are able to share with him.

This was only Steve’s second indoor gig since Covid. It was evident that it was special and Steve was so glad to be back playing to live audiences again, as we were of course to be there. If anything he is enjoying his connection with his audience all the more, (you value things more when they are taken away). Because of everything the concert was so touching.

Steve’s anecdotes were ever present, like his phone call to Rod Stewart saying I’ve got this song for you it’s called “Friend For Life” Rod got back to him saying nah, I don’t get it, with Steve voicing it’s not difficult. But of course Rod did later record the song on his Another Country album.

The second half of the set was all the old favourites so everyone was happy. The highlights for me were Coast Of Amalfi and the sublime Sebastian, this Accoustic set took those songs to another level. Since the first time I heard Steve’s Coast of Amalfi I have always wanted to go there, last year we booked to go with our son and his wife for his 40th birthday, but of course it didn’t happen, hopefully, sometime in the future.

After the gig I managed to get down to the front and acquire Steve’s own set list, I know people who love a set list. If Steve is playing his Accoustic set anywhere near you, just go, Steve’s still got it!
Please login/register to post on the forum.