Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How Can I Tell You

How Can I Tell You 3 years 8 months ago #13065

• new cross boy
  • From 1973 to the present day
After nearly 42 years together during which time we were blessed with four wonderful children and, so far, four grandchildren my beautiful wife Julie passed away on 24th July 2020.

I have been following Steve and Cockney Rebel since late 1973 and introduced Julie to Steve's magic in 1998 at The Stables in Wavendon after which she became a devoted follower too and over the past 22 years we probably saw Steve perform over 60 times including Bedford, Aylesbury, Cambridge, Watford, Birmingham, Pizza Express Holborn, Jazz Cafe Camden, Royal Albert Hall and multiple times at The Stables.

When the fabulous 'Uncovered' album was released earlier this year we already knew that Julie's cancer had progressed and that our time together was limited. Julie instantly loved the track 'How Can I Tell You' and said there and then that she wanted it played at her funeral. So on 31st July it was played as the accompaniment to a montage of photographs depicting Julie's 61 years of life.

We have/had tickets to see Steve and the band at Wavendon on 10th December. I may still go - if the pain I currently feel has eased sufficiently and if one of my children will come with me. If I do and Steve performs 'How Can I Tell You' and you see someone crying it will be me.

Thank you Steve from the bottom of my heart. Not just for the nearly 47 years of pleasure you have given me since I was 17 years of age but particularly for the 22 years of wonderful times I was privileged to share with Julie in your presence.

Dave (aka New Cross Boy)
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by new cross boy. Reason: error
Please login/register to post on the forum.

How Can I Tell You 3 years 8 months ago #13066

• RachelPAtoSH
Dave - Steve writes: "I am so sorry to learn this news, Dave, and my deepest sympathy comes your way. Your devotion to my career must pale into nothing as compared with that which you would have enjoyed with your wife, Julie. I wish you strength as you overcome this dreadful loss. See you at a gig...be sure to say hello. Steve H

How Can I Tell You 3 years 8 months ago #13067

• new cross boy
  • From 1973 to the present day
Hi Rachel - wow, I am blown away. Please thank Steve for his message which was totally unexpected. I have shared it with my children. I think we may have 'spoken' back in March when Julie and I had VIP tickets to meet and see Steve at Holborn Pizza Express but sadly had to pull out late on due to Julie's illness. You kindly organised a refund for us. Assuming the Wavendon show goes ahead on 10th December I will be attending with one of my sons - also called Steve (wonder why?)- and would be honoured to finally meet my musical hero after all these years. Is this something that could be arranged do you think? Thank you so much. Dave