Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A Soundcheck Story

A Soundcheck Story 5 years 10 months ago #12779

• ipswich
I was fortunate enough to get sound check tickets for Steve's show on Saturday 12th May at Pizza Express. During the soundcheck Steve regaled us with how lucky we were to be in his sound check as this was not allowed. In fact he stated recently the wife of a promotor was to leave!
Well, Steve cast your mind back to Monday 23rd June 1980 at a venue called
The Venue (see Wiki for info/history etc.). My wife and I had tickets for the concert and on arrival, along with everyone else, were ushered to the upstairs bar. Whilst having a drink I could hear what I thought was the soundcheck. So we went downstairs to the entrance to the auditorium ,to be confronted by the doorman. Well, somehow we blagged our way in and watched from afar. My wife had a pen and the only paper she had was the envelope the tickets were sent in (remember the days of S.A.E.'s?)
Steve left the stage and went to the sound desk , not far from us, wanting an autograph and thinking Steve would be more sympathetic for a lady I sent my wife over and to our amazement Steve signed and dedicated to me.
So Steve, no one gets in your soundchecks then ! I still have the autograph and tickets framed on the wall at home. So on Saturday 12th May I had come full circle and got in the soundcheck legally.
John
Please login/register to post on the forum.