Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: STRANGER COMES TO TOWN...a fans view

STRANGER COMES TO TOWN...a fans view 14 years 2 days ago #678

• stewart g
I've bought hundreds of albums since 1972,and spent god knows how many years in total playing them all!..since that time though There has always been one artist who I immediatly got the album straight away on it's release,and one artist who for some reason always hit the mark at that time in my life.
The band was Cockney Rebel,the artist of course is Steve Harley.
When you get to a certain age and there is only one musician who you care about that much to get the album straight away on it's release,you always approach the new music with a little trepidation..( can it deliver, will it be as good as the previous work ?)

Stranger Comes To Town hit's the mark on every level,the musicianship is outstanding,words are never wasted,and it's a fine fine collection of work.
The decision to record the album at a residential studio was a msterstroke.This sounds like a true band album,it's not a collection of tracks recorded by different musicians at different studio's over a long time.The album has a feel and a structure not unlike Timeless Flight.

I like the finger pointing " we get our legacies too soon "..is spot on,you can see the young running wild,with too much money and not enough education to go with it.For Sale. Baby Shoes.Never Worn. is heartbreaking stuff,and " It's a bitter pill" such a true and brilliant way to sum up the song and it's meaning.
This Old Man..is a fitting tribute to Steve's Dad,or any Dad...or any fine person who has helped,supported and guided..."No words Express what he knows,no palette paints his hand,no ordinary hero,this old man"

Steve is using his words better than ever these days.There are no filler tracks on Stranger Comes To Town,it's a collection of songs just waiting to be played live.
I read a Daily Express Review that said Steve should be proud of this album,funny but it also makes me proud to be still able to support and collect a musician and his band who since 1973 have been producing music that still makes me smile,think,question things and totally enjoy.

I will take with me forever
" And though The Water may be deep and cold.
He always pushes harder to be kind"

Much respect to Steve and The Band,and Thank You.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:STRANGER COMES TO TOWN...a fans view 14 years 2 days ago #679

• essexboybilly
I wish I could express my feelings as well as you Stewart, all i can say is I love this album. My favorite line?
"He sits, motionless in his corner, head in hands, disbelieving..." poetry, like Steve alone writes, even better than Waites and Cohen. Every ttrack has great depth, some listeners just don't have the patience, i guess! This album deserves attention. I hope Steve chooses to play most of the new songs on tour.

Re:STRANGER COMES TO TOWN...a fans view 14 years 2 days ago #680

• cockneyrebel1
B) Albums that I like immediately often lose their attraction for me quickly:My first reaction on hearing the new album was that it wasn't what I had been expecting but was just begging for another listen. A good few listens later, it continues to grow on me: The lyrics are pure poetry! I think this is amazing piece of work, of which Steve should be incredibly proud. Thank you! B)

Re:STRANGER COMES TO TOWN...a fans view 14 years 2 days ago #681

• jackpot1
...agreed with the above fully, and it actually gets better with each listen. So much in there. Alyn and Mr Wall just don't have the patience it seems. Their loss.

Re:STRANGER COMES TO TOWN...a fans view 14 years 1 day ago #707

• Pandorah
getting chucked off Computer by Daughter who needs to go on her face book ! I ask ya ! really . i'll be back in to read this topic so's I comment !
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh kid's

Re:STRANGER COMES TO TOWN...a fans view 14 years 1 day ago #713

• PeterJH
Please pass on my compliments to Mr Harley for having released a very special album in Stranger Comes To Town, an album which I adore, and feel to be his finest work since Love's A Prima Donna. It's a wonderful achievement.
  • Page: