Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Offer to Steve Harley....

Re:Offer to Steve Harley.... 13 years 11 months ago #670

• hobo1958
never judge a book by its cover springs to mind !!
Attachments:
The topic has been locked.

Re:Offer to Steve Harley.... 13 years 11 months ago #673

• markymywords
Alyn wrote:
Don't worry, I will leave you all to your Steve Harley love-fest here, as for the cover - I was looking forward to showing my artistic credentials but I feel the hostility here, so will bow out gracefully.

This whole thread has got to be the worst pitch for business I've ever encountered.

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys about your artistic credentials, but I would still love to see what you can do one-armed and blindfolded.

That was a really rude thing you wrote, especially without backing up your claim.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you ought to retract that particular statement unless you are prepared to post a video of yourself on youtube designing blindfolded with one arm tied behind your back.

Re:Offer to Steve Harley.... 13 years 11 months ago #674

• RachelPAtoSH
Alyn: for your information, "lazy album" you call "Stranger Comes To Town" - Steve spent 47 days in the studio and has so far spent over £100,000 of his own money on the project, much of it in refining the recordings piece by piece. Lazy? You voice this opinion on a world wide public forum like Amazon,so damaging potential sales of this fine, proud work whose depth you fail to recognise? Maybe the internet is a dangerous place at times, as Steve has said in his Diary many times. As a "fan", perhaps you could think twice in future before posting your attacks, your negative views on a place such as Amazon. As for the cover, "bleeding" etc. do you really think Steve and his artwork team do not know what they doing? We onlywork with good natured, thoughtful people in the Comeuppance organisation. Steve has this theory that "It all comes from the top".....kindness, courtesy etc. We would notemploy you if you were the most successful sleeve designer or photographer onthe planet. You wouldn't fit in. If you can delete your hurtful drivel on the Amazon website reviews, many people will be very grateful. This huge project has the Mick Walls of the world to deal with, without so-called fans doing irretrievable damage. Steve is away again tonight, constantly involved in promoting the album, before starting rehearsals next week. Lazy? Lazy album? Try suggesting that to the musicians and engineers who performed on it. You've no idea.

Re:Offer to Steve Harley.... 13 years 11 months ago #677

• Alyn
...on having opinions.... I have mine, you all have yours and I was fully aware that speaking my mind here would rattle your cages - a business I wouldn't get into unless I was passionate about the music I care for. To return to my original point, I am seeing a product (the CD cover) that I, as a low-level designer, could better - it provoked me into making the statement. I look at the artists I follow and generally speaking, great skill is put into presenting an album to the highest spec - the music sells the product but presentation is so important - representing a creative, structured album should be done with artwork to reflect this. I don't see it. Amazon: I read reviews on Amazon before buying albums but it rarely influences my decision - I'm sure Daniel O'Donnell albums have 'the greatest album of all time' reviews. I listened to this album three or four times on the first day it came and was bitterly disappointed and felt moved to express the feeling, I have listened to it more times since and still feel the same. Potential buyers who read reviews and soak up all the rave reviews and see they outweigh my one star and probably shrug their shoulders and buy, unless thay are particularly weak. My comment about the album being lazy is more or less based on the fact that I'm hearing mostly strum along songs and I can't find much in the way of structure or atmosphere, no matter how much time or money an album takes to record it comes down to the songs, and from Steve Harley I want an angle, an edge, something dark, something that disturbs me and provokes me...it all sounds too easy. I'm being constructive here...this is what I feel. I wanted to like this album, but I find I have strong opinions that I'm voicing ... if it really upsets you all I will drop the review on Amazon, I'm not heartless, just a disappointed fan.

Re:Offer to Steve Harley.... 13 years 11 months ago #682

• raffles
I DO NOT BELIEVE ALYN HAS HEARD THE CD!!!
It's a scam by someone with a grudge - it's happened before. Bananaman or someone once invaded Steve's web space.
Alyn doesn't mention any tracks, so think about it. He/she probably hasn't heard it, never mind bought it. I can't find it for sale on ebay!!!
He makes sweeping statements about looking for "darkness, an edge" - when we all know it's all in there: No Bleeding Hearts - pretty dark and mysterious. Blinded With Tears, edgy as they come!! Take The Men And The Horses Away - a really edgy, modern track full of dark imagery and mystery. What's he/she on about regarding the cover as well? A bit more thoughtful criticism would have been ok Alyn, but you seem like a fifth columnist to these cynical old eyes.

Re:Offer to Steve Harley.... 13 years 11 months ago #683

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
He sold it for a fiver. cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steve-Harley-Stranger-Com...&hash=item3a5a876913

played once only, as new.

and only charged 50p for the postage.

At least he didn't seek to profit from it.

He ain't all bad, I'm sure.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.