Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cockney rebel gigs in Leeds in the 70's

Cockney rebel gigs in Leeds in the 70's 14 years 3 months ago #333

• kazzad
Can anyone confirm how many times the band played in Leeds in the 70's? My husband says he saw Queen support Cockney rebel in the 70's in Leeds. Is he mistaken?
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Cockney rebel gigs in Leeds in the 70's 14 years 3 months ago #334

• Hobo With A Gin.
  • Ian.
Cockney Rebel played four times in Leeds during the 70's.
1973 at the Staging Post pub.
1974 Leeds Town Hall, Psychomodo tour,support band Be Bop Deluxe.
1975 Leeds Town Hall, Best Years tour,support band Sailor.
1976 Leeds Grand Theatre, Timeless Flight tour, no support band. This concert replaced two nights booked at Leeds University which were cancelled, said to be because Steve wanted seated venues on the tour.

Queen supported Mott The Hoople at Leeds Town Hall in February 1975, and Brian May is quoted on the Mott The Hoople website as saying ' "On tour as support to Mott The Hoople (the only time Queen ever supported anyone), I was always conscious that we were in the presence of something great, something highly evolved, close to the centre of the Spirit of Rock 'n' Roll, something to breathe in and learn from."

Re:Cockney rebel gigs in Leeds in the 70's 14 years 3 months ago #335

• Hobo With A Gin.
  • Ian.
Oh, I've missed one, Leeds Grand Theatre 1977, the 'Love's A Prima Donna' tour, no support act.

Re:Cockney rebel gigs in Leeds in the 70's 14 years 3 months ago #336

• stewart g
Hobo..great list,any idea of the staging post date,and were you there?
I think the primadonna tour dates were 76?
and talking of Leeds dates,who could ever forget those Irish Centre gigs that started in 1989? Rebel :cheer: were never away from the place,always a great gig!! :lol:

Re:Cockney rebel gigs in Leeds in the 70's 14 years 3 months ago #337

• Hobo With A Gin.
  • Ian.
Hi, Stewart.

As far as I can remember the Staging Post gig was late '73. As it was a pub and I was only 12 then, I didn't get to go.
I was allowed to go to some theatre gigs with my cousin, who did go, but she's 4 years older than me.
She lives in Oz now, but I have a mate who went, so I'll see if he can remember when it was. I also have some press cuttings from the time, I'll see if I can find anything there.
My first Rebel gig was 1975 at the town hall on the Best Years...tour
The Irish Centre gigs were great, I remember one in Bradford at the Queen's Hall up the side of the Alhambra, and also Heineken festival gigs in Sheffield and Preston in the early 90's. The festivals were free, too.