Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Big Big Deal

Big Big Deal 12 years 10 months ago #2542

• Singular Band
Not that this matters much but I am just curious as to why the 1974 single Big Big Deal was deleted. At the time in 1974 I don't recall it having any airplay (?)and I discovered it after SH disbanded the first incarnation. We all know it had session musicians helping SH out as it were and you can see it being performed on You Tube by the second incarnation of SH & CR but why was it deleted after such a short time.

I seem to remember way back in 1974/1975 being told that it was deleted after 2 weeks. Now, was it pulled by EMI because it did not or was not going to fair well or did SH have a hand in it? I remember in 1975 that it took me an age to get hold of the single and was I continually being told "no mate it's been deleted". Over the past few years I've seen copies on e-bay though!

Again, not that it matters but I have always wondered why it was deleted?

Does anyone else recall or know or indeed have any thoughts. Perhaps if Mr Harley reads this, he would be exceedingly kind to let me know?

Great single by the way......."I got trapped I was a foolish boy etc etc"

:)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Big Big Deal 12 years 10 months ago #2543

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
I can't answer your question, but I have to pop in and agree with you about it being a great single. I love the hell out of it.
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel

Re:Big Big Deal 12 years 10 months ago #2544

• stewart g
It was a strange one Big Big Deal.I remember when it came out in 1974 hearing it on Rosko's Roundtable on Radio 1,and to this day never again on the Radio.
There were also large ads in the music press on it's release,and Steve and the new Cockney Rebel including Yvonne Keeley and Patricia Paay on backing vocals played it live on the Autumn Tour dates including the legendary Rainbow Show introduced by Kid Jensen.
I believe that Steve and Stuart were rehearsing the track in the sound checks towrds the end of the massive Uk tour Tour that finished in late July at The Hard Rock In Manchester.
The 45 performance also introduced by Kid Jensen was really impressive and also featured Bed In The Corner.Other artists on that show included Mike Mcgear ( paul Mccartneys brother), and Lynsey De Paul.
Trying to get hold of Big Big Deal proved impossible at my local record shop and they could get everything!!! so it appears to have been removed/deleted from circulation pretty quickly.
Thank God for Fan Clubs...my copy, a promo arrived in early 1975 care of Nikki from the Fan Club in Manchester Square.

:) ;)

Re:Big Big Deal 12 years 10 months ago #2551

• Cocnerebel
I wonder if my BBC transcription disc is a live version or just a bog standard studio track .......

Maybe one day I will listen to it Stew .....

Now where on earth did I leave the blessed thing?

:laugh: :laugh: :ohmy: :laugh: :laugh:

Re:Big Big Deal 12 years 10 months ago #2552

• Singular Band
Stewart

Thanks for this. That is a fantastic piece of information/memory.

Most interesting :cheer:

Re:Big Big Deal 12 years 9 months ago #2618

• ffcforever
  • Primary School PE and School Sports Teacher
Have a copy and it sits in my Vinyl Juke Box - along with Sebastian, Judy Teen, Mr Soft, MMS, Mr Raffles and Black or White!