Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Chichester 2nd June

Chichester 2nd June 12 years 10 months ago #2514

• Ray Smith
Chichester 2/7/11
Basically I went with the feeling of merriment. I hadn't seen Steve in concert for just over a year and was up for it in the end tho I didn't have that "buzz" I've talked of in the past as I made my way by coach and train. It was all due to a very busy week at work and at home.. nothing more, so I didn't build myself up like usual as no time.

On the coach in Cardiff I heard very faintly True Love Will Find You In The End coming out of the above speaker. Never heard the song before Steve covered it. Couldn’t hear if it was the original but guessed it had to be?

Why the hell did I think that Chichester was in Kent I wonder?

I passed places on the train that brought back memories of goneby gigs of Steve. Redhill was one. What a time :-)

Strange to stop at a place called Ford. Thoughts of a band member no longer with us.

Arundel just before looked nice. A castle or huge mansion? I've not looked it up as yet only being home a matter of 2 hours and catching up on the net.

So arrived at my destination with dear old lady Lynn from B and B booked waiting for me. The only 2nd time ever in my travels for Steve and the band that my lodgings have picked me up.. bless her.
A sort of Miss Marple type that must welcome her guests fully. I feel so warm and humble that there are such people still out there. The festival of speed also there nearby this weekend so all was busy and we took the back way to home for the night. Lynn also printed me off a local map and so even though I didn’t arrive until 2pm after a start out at 7am from my humble abode, I had to take a brief look around.

Shopping? Don’t make me laugh  But for a time yes I did enter and leave many places. All bangles and beads and dear places!! Oh dear thought I, an expensive place to be. Done the deed and got my girl a few trinkets. Quaint church in the middle of houses, a sort of clock tower with an arch under it with live music for free (wish I had more time to stop and listen,) a shop called “between the lines” and another called “Pandora” past the huge cathedral and bumped into Alan Membury (forgive me if I spell his name wrong) and his woman. I knew the face but not the name. He remembered me from going to The Brook in Southampton. I keep on saying to whoever.. “there is nowhere in Britain I can go for Steve’s gigs that I don’t bump into someone I know” 

I asked Alan “What do you expect tonight?”

I think his answer was “A great gig” or something like but I was referring and told him... “I’m just hoping for at least one different song to the festival set list I know it’s going to be.” Now don’t get me wrong. I expected a festival set list as I’ve said before that’s how it should be at a festival as Steve is playing for the festival goers and not the hardcore as HIS gigs.

And so I had to find the gig place. A surrounding wall is the order in Chichester, reminds me of York. But where do I get in? Looked at trusty map from Miss Marple and found my way through a cricket ground next door.

Some sort of sound check going on, but not the band. Or did I hear Steve’s voice? No songs for sure but a boom boom boom testing of the drums.

No I shouldn’t go through the barriers, but the two blokes there said they weren’t watching LOL so a quick peek but saw nothing.. darkness in the tent.

Around another way and found the real entrance for the night. A brief talk to some bloke who had moved from the Manchester area down there some years back and told me this is a yearly thing and he had seen I think he said Spandau Ballet there the other year? Both went into a nearby pub where live music was happening again and I preached the gospel to him over one pint only (how much??? Around £3.45??) why he should go tonight and how his mind will be blown 

Home time as ever for me. I always do this to freshen up before the evening with a shower. Now I HAD the buzz  Time was going too fast for me still.

Now I knew my way around.. easy return! Straight to the Wetherspoons for £1.70 LOL. Well god knows how much at the venue and cash to be held onto for next weekend at Cambridge!

Into the right way of the venue and look around. See no one I know but a good enough venue.

Bar tent then  Look around again and hang on? This is a face I DO know  It was Robbie standing there with people in a circle. I entered the circle and kept quiet. Didn’t want to interrupt but was there. Finally Robbie turned to me and said something like “Hi Ray you’ve travelled far, are you just here for the gig?” I smiled and said “of course.” Maybe he didn’t understand why we hardcore travel so many miles bless him LOL. He then told his party that he had to go and was on stage at 5 to 10pm. At least I knew 

I also mingled with other people. Stood around in another circle of people and told them how good their evening would be. I was asked questions on Steve’s history and answered them easily. Ask me another I said LOL.

Again I could not believe that there was nothing in the local papers for this festival save a small ad tucked in a corner but 3 or 4 pages for the festival of speed. What do we have as keepsakes? Ok JUST a small pamphlet.

I phoned a friend from the front line.

Just then a band came on stage. I thought it was a local band and so kept on talking on the phone, only to realise it was Alvin Stardust the support for the night. I must say here and now that Alvin and his band did bloody well. Alvin is another crowd pleaser but I doubted him when I saw his name up on the same festival as Steve. In fact I thought at the time what the hell is Steve doing in a festival with him? Excuse me! Alvin reminded me of a Hasslehoff, but didn’t the audience love him! Hands up galore! YES I enjoyed him also! Not just his hits but the rock covers he plays.

I’m not going to tell of the set list of Steve’s right now. Others I see on the net will go soon (even some from over the pond) and I don’t want to spoil it for them. Needless to say, my 127th time of seeing Steve and the band live was a blast  Nor will I tell the story of the gig... other people paint it much much better than me.. some other people though are at a different festival and missed this one. I’ll catch up with them again sometime, somewhere.

Keep rebelling ya all. www.harleyfanzone.com/Ray/Raysmith.html

Mr_Softie
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Chichester 2nd June 12 years 10 months ago #2516

• groverhead
Steve was FANTASTIC! Ray had a blast, so did we all. The band played a ripping set, barley pausing for breath until half-an-hour in, by which time 2000 party-goers were happy to be in the palm of Steve's hand. We sang and sang, the loudest I've ever heard an audience go for it, for any act. Sebastian tore the place apart, and Steve did a little mickey-take after it, bringing the band forward for a bow and feiging the end! He was booked to play one-hour the organisers told us, but he came on ten minutes early and went off 7 minutes after the curfew, so we got plenty extra! He said he'd had a great time, would like to play more but didn't know any more songs! Said he's make one up there and then in the hope of coming up with something "commercial". The band kicked into the Make Me Smile intro and the marquee erupted again. Steve delivered a festival-audience pleaser for sure. Great night, to live long in the memory.
PS who was the new drummer? It was not Stuart.

Re:Chichester 2nd June 12 years 10 months ago #2517

• groverhead
.....my wife insists I add a mention of how "cool Steve looked" - in a silver jacket and black shirt. She had him "on her bedroom wall" all those years ago, and I don't believe I am the "ONLY" man in her life to this day!

Re:Chichester 2nd June 12 years 10 months ago #2518

• Ray Smith
Groverhead. Please e mail me. Thanx

Re:Chichester 2nd June 12 years 10 months ago #2519

• anichols
Groverhead.....Drummmer I presume was Adam Houghton - old drummer who was drumm about 10 year till 2005.

Re:Chichester 2nd June 12 years 10 months ago #2521

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
yes the drummer for this summers run of gigs is indeed Adam Houghton,a familiar face in the Rebel ranks,Stuart Elliot has other commitments at the moment.Adam is a fantastic drummer too,and will keep the beat for sure,enjoy the summer gigs folks. B)
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'