Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Favourite Steve Harley Songs

Re: Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #262

• cockneyrebel1
I would love to know which songs are Steve's personal favourites. My own favourites change all the time. Looking at the list I wrote a few days ago I now want to add Throw Your Soul Down Here, Saturday Night At The Fair, The Lighthouse, What Ruthie Said, Love Compared To You, Ballerina Primadonna and I Wish It Would Rain :)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #264

• Nelson Muntz
  • It Wasn't Me.....!
cockneyrebel1 wrote:
Throw Your Soul Down Here
Great choice. I can't get enough of it. I still can't understand the first few lines though.
Fell in love with Judy Teen, bought Psychomodo, saw first concert 1978 Hammersmith, got everything since.

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #265

• Mozoman
I've yet to find a song by the man that probably isn't one of my faves? But somehow, I always travel back to that time in my life, when I was a strong, young, idealist. Full of endless amounts of energy, ready to take on the world! Totally enjoying my many nights of passion spent, filled with wine, women, and song in exotic ports of call, while riding the high seas with the United States Navy. Back in the early 80's, those were times of independence and freedom and the song that I'd listen too most when I wanted to express what I was feeling most to a woman I loved, was always, Riding The Waves (For Virginia Woolfe). B)

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #269

• Maelitta
When I listen to a Steve Harley's song it's my favorite. When the next on LP arrives, it's my favorite, tec ...

But, amongst all, Ritz is a masterpiece : fascinating voice, strange manners, incredible atmosphere, unic music, perfect production and lyrics of an incredible poetry.

It is probably one of the most powerfull song of the years 70/80's.

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #277

• mike o
So what are steve's top 5 favourite Steve Harley songs?
he has written many songs over the past 30ish years from the 'punkish' B) era to the 'old' classic wordsmith :)

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #278

• markymywords
mike o wrote:
So what are steve's top 5 favourite Steve Harley songs?
he has written many songs over the past 30ish years from the 'punkish' B) era to the 'old' classic wordsmith :)

I'm always surprised when a music artist reveals their favourites from their own back catalogue.

I wonder if Steve would pick some leftfield choices. After all the songs he's most proud of might not be the ones we know the best.

Are there any musicians out there who could suggest some less well-known SH&CR songs that they would be proud of writing had they done so?

To be honest I can hear songs from my record collection over and over and want to listen to something else, but if someone tells me something about a song I've heard a thousand times that makes me listen to it with fresh ears, it's an absolute revelation.

A few weeks ago some professional musician posted a critique here of some early SH songs that made me want to listen to those songs again and when I did it was amazing.

It made me realise that musicians must hear music differently from the rest of us, so please if there are more of you out there reading this, give us your insight!

Mikey