Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Favourite Steve Harley Songs

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #248

• psychomodo
Alice Cooper donned and eventually escaped from a straight jacket while performing 'The Ballad of Dwight Frye'. David Bowie claimed to be 'quite content' even while requesting a 'good ole lobotomy' in 'All the Madmen'. Then there was Steve, running around in hyper schemes which bled into him clutching his throat during blood curdling screams in 'BACK TO THE FARM'. I always filed these classics together under 'looney tunes';-). Wierd though, in all the posts/fav lists i've read over the years, no one here ever mentions this song or the incredible intensity of it live..next, I can't imagine a list without CAVALIERS, say no more...the current bands live rendition of 'AUDIENCE WITH THE MAN'. They own that song. They say you can't improve on perfection but these guys prove that to be wrong time and again...There's something about 'THE LAST TIME I SAW YOU' that's hard to explain but it's eerie aura delivers me to a place where no other songs ever been or evers been able to take me....There's a scene in Woody Allen's 'Stardust Memories' where he recalls a moment from his first marriage. It was a sunday morning and he was sitting cross the table from his wife. She looked great/happy and he described it as a perfect life moment, a perfectly contented feel, a perfect snapshot, if you will. At the Isle of Wight show, somewhere during 'A FRIEND FOR LIFE', I think it'e when they switch to the camera behind the crowd to show the enormity of the gig. The sound is acoustically perfect, the song is perfect, and it hits me right there, a microcosm of all the beauty that is Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel. It's a snapshot, a perfect moment....see you guys in may, mike
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #249

• groverhead
I wish I could write it down like Mike has, but all I can add is that Back To The Farm scared the pants off me when I 13 and my big brothers took me to The Kursaal ballroom to see the new big thing, Steve and Co. Still tremble at the memory!!"And Cavaliers is one the great Rebel tracks too. Can I put up 5 more, totally different from my first list?? This is a great thread and I hope someone points Steve to it even if he is deep into recording the new stuff.
UNDERSTAND
CAVALIERS
WHAT RUTHY SAID
DINO
MIRROR FREAK

there...done it!

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #250

• groverhead
Just another thought: If SH reads this thread, I bet we'd all love to see his own favs! Not from a list sent in to mr Smith a thousand years ago or whenever, but an up-to-the-minute list from SH himeslf.
Rachel.....can you ask??? Andy?

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #251

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
I thought I'd do this spontaneously, without too much deliberation and here are mine in no particular order ....

Hideaway
Bed In The Corner
Here Comes In The Sun
Make Me Smile
Nothing Is Sacred
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

Re:Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #253

• Benethi
I was, I have to say, surprised at everyone's requests in the 2010 tour thread. This thread confirms that people's favourites are often not what I'd expect...

I put together a best of to introduce some friends when trying to get some of them to come to a concert a couple of years ago...

1 Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
2 Riding The Waves (For Virginia Woolf) - Poetic Justice version
3 Chameleon
4 Death Trip
5 Rain in Venice
6 Star for a week (Dino)
7 Psychomodo
8 Mr Soft
9 The Lighthouse
10 The Last Time I Saw You
11 Sebastian
12 Spaced Out
13 (Love) Compared With You
14 Mr. Raffles
15 Bed In The Corner
16 Sling It!
17 Tumbling Down

selecting 5? Um, randomly select any 5 of the above and you'll get my fave five at a certain point in the day...
but right at this particular second maybe...

Sebastian
Death Trip
Mr Raffles
The Lighthouse
Psychomodo

edit: of course, the random selection of five method would have to include Muriel, Ritz, and Crazy Raver (is it just me who loves that one?) too.
PS. I do love The Quality of Mercy too, but I will confess to a slight preferential skew towards the older stuff...

Re: Favourite Steve Harley Songs 14 years 5 months ago #259

• RachelPAtoSH
Steve is preparing his own list of 10 favourites to perform Live.....
but he says it could change weekly!