Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: An anecdote from Harley-world

An anecdote from Harley-world 13 years 3 months ago #2014

• eriknielsen
I became a fan of Steve Harley's back in 1977. But I never saw him LIVE till the late 80's. I have a peculiar story from the late 90s. In Denmark.
Having been a fan for so many years and - now about 40 years old - I acted like a 16 year old at a concert in Aarhus.
When the concert was over, Steve Harley raised his guitar over his head while we were all cheering and clapping our hands. I was on the second row and a long way from the centre of things. Suddenly Harley throws his plectrum ...and while this tiny piece of plastic is still in the air, the 40 year old Erik Nielsen - now 16 !!! - gets up, pushes his wife aside, stumbles across numerous chairs...reaches the floor in front of the scene and slides the last five meters on his stomack to finally cover this little plectrum with his whole body. YES!
My wife was somewhat embarrased when I came back to her with the 50p-worth plastic and a not-so-white-anymore shirt !
A year later. Again in Aarhus. I sit right in front of Steve Harley. And the concert ends. Harley raises his guitar. But this time - I imagine - he has talked to his guitarist in the break in the dressingroom: - Have you noticed that the crazy bloke from last year is back ! Lets us not allow him to embarass himself the way he did last year. SO..Harley...puts one hand in front of his face to avoid the light from the ceiling....finds me among the crowd...and quietly throws the plectrum into my lap!!!
And this is how I have now got two of those grey plastic pieces that Steve Harley uses to play his guitar.
Cheers !
Attachments:
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:An anecdote from Harley-world 13 years 3 months ago #2015

• cockneyrebel1
B) A lovely story Erik. Thank you for sharing it. I think Harley has the ability to make us all regress back into teenagehood, in one way or another! You obviously made an impression on Harley, to say the least!!!

Re:An anecdote from Harley-world 13 years 3 months ago #2016

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
Hahaha! Oh! I love this story. Brilliant. Thanks for the story and the much needed giggle.
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel

Re:An anecdote from Harley-world 13 years 3 months ago #2037

• Maelitta
:laugh: Excellent !

Re: An anecdote from Harley-world 13 years 3 months ago #2043

• joanna
Fantastic tale !!!
Once the RED MIST COMES DOWN theres no telling what may happen.!!!
I screamed at the poor "gully bouncer " between stage and barrier at Glastonbury Abbey Extravaganza.... to get the one thrown out towards the crowd..Cheers jo
Smile x