Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: gilston sunday night

gilston sunday night 13 years 4 months ago #1875

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
So it was with trepidation that I set off from home sunday afternoon,only 70 odd miles to bilston but a friend who lives locally rang to say that the road conditions were treacherous,and they were!
got to the venue around 4.30 to find the place in darkness,no sign of any crew van,surely they would be there unloading,sound checking...convinced myself that no gig was happening here tonight,then i spotted a car crawling through the snow and ice,yes!
the lartey sisters emerged from the back seat slipping and sliding their way to the stage door,...still on then? shouts jimbo,we HOPE so came the response from the giggling twosome,satisfied that things were looking up i set off to book in to my digs in wolverhampton about 3 miles up the road.
An hour later i was off back to the robin2,again no sign of life and the girls had disappeared again.panic again set in thinking it must be cancelled,but just in time up roll lincoln and barry to the car park at the rear of the venue....now i knew it was on!
a quick chat with a very weary looking barry,who had just endured a six hour drive from brighton,he said steve and the others were en route from various places and the show will go on.heroes the bloody lot of them,thanks one and all it was a sterling and profesional approach from everyone.
round to woodys bar to meet mates old and new, peter j-h,mike j,
paul,craig and david,hazel...all the way from kilmarnock, and
mrs santa herself,debbie r turned up from northampton
in the trusty beamer.
the gig started a little late but who cares,from the opening bars of here comes the sun,it was obvious from the smile on steves face,and the audience word perfect from the off,that this was going to be one of those magical nights that us rebelfreaks will talk about in years to come....you know...remember the time we all went to bilston in the snow and ice when the temperature was minus 12 outside....a brilliant performance from the guys,and girls,albeit with a few little sound problems,but who cares,it was magnificent,special,memorable....and only eleven days to go to the mecca for us harleyheads...holmfirth on new years eve...
can it get better?....mmmm i just know it will.
once again to steve and the band,shop and the crew,the sound and lighting technicians and to all of the robin2 staff,thank you thank you thank you for last night.
jimbo,chesterfield.
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:gilston sunday night 13 years 4 months ago #1876

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
that title should read Bilston sorry typo error!
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'

Re:gilston sunday night 13 years 4 months ago #1877

• cheri
I envy you. It sounds like it was a wonderful night. Really enjoyed reading your comments. :)

Cheri

Ditto Bilston..... 13 years 4 months ago #1878

• joanna
Very good night as you say. I think next time Ill try and stand centre 3 rows back as was too near the right speakers and may have had a cleaner sound.mind you once I the music kicked in I was in the zone and away awayyyyyy
Smile x

Re:gilston sunday night 13 years 4 months ago #1879

• COVENTRY DAVE
I was there too, about the 20th + time i've seen Steve, ( the first Feb 74 !!!! ). The sound problems were annoying, for me anyway. Question....what did he play immediately before Sling It...............?? I knew it word for word, bit i'll be wotsit'd if i can think of the title...............

Re:gilston sunday night 13 years 4 months ago #1880

• crazy horse
give us a few lines of it ,and we can tell you