Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Little performed tracks ......

Little performed tracks ...... 14 years 5 months ago #172

• Cocnerebel
Recent talk of songs that people would like Steve and the band to include on the set list for the forthcoming tour led me to thinking ...... which songs have never, or rarely, been sung live in concert? I was not around for the first tour in 1974 but I would guess that some of the earlier songs that I mention here may well have been performed way back then. Also, the odd song may have been sneaked into a performance here and there so those I mention are not cast in stone. Perhaps others will be able to point to where and when they were heard. In the meantime ..... errors and omissions excepted because I am no expert!!

Robertotechno, under another thread, was not wrong ..... well, only slightly so it makes me wonder where the guy who chastised him has been for the last thirty years!! Muriel The Actor, to my knowledge, has never been performed live by Steve (post 1974) apart from the Crystal Palace Garden Party in 1975 when it was played as his opening number. So ping ping indeed! Other songs from the first two albums which have failed to feature in live shows since the 1970’s are Crazy Raver and Singular Band. From the Best Years album there is 49th Parallel and this list would have included Panorama until recently so that shows that Steve still thinks of the fans because it has gone down a STORM. Similarly missing have been the excellent B sides from early singles ..... Rock and Roll Parade, Spaced Out (oh how I ADORE Spaced Out!!) and Throw Your Soul Down Here. Such A Dream was performed, I think, at the Pink Pop Festival in Holland way back when but apart from that ...... never.

I can remember hearing “Another Journey” in a former church in Liverpool (1993) but other than maybe a few other times on that tour it has remained a little known but excellent B side. I am not sure if Steve’s “solo” single Big, Big Deal has ever been included on a set list, likewise other 70’s tracks like Don’t Go, Don’t Cry (apart from 1975 when Steve would open with it), Black Or White and White, White Dove (the latter possibly in the 70’s but I don’t recall). Later tracks that have not been given a live airing include Amerika The Brave, From Here To Eternity, Hot Youth, (I Don’t Believe) God Is An Anarchist, Living In A Rhapsody, Love On The Rocks and Someone’s Coming. I am not sure about Heartbeat Like Thunder or I Wish It Would Rain, probably not often if at all, and almost certainly the cover version of Crazy Love has been omitted. Another wonderful cover, Love Minus Zero No Limit, was sung at an acoustic gig (Aston Villa Football Club) in the early nineties, when I propped up the bar with my mate Chalkie, but that, to my knowledge, was its only airing.

The only album which has had all of the tracks played live since 1980 is the last one, Quality Of Mercy, although the Prima Donna album all but qualifies apart from the instrumental called Sidetrack 1 and 2. There is something missing from the rest.

And the last track I want to mention is Ballerina (Prima Donna). Steve sang it at the Reading Festival I believe and also at The Venue in London way back in 1983. I really, really, really hope he will include it again in 2010. If I had one choice for inclusion that would be it.

However, Spaced Out would be a close second. And why not Muriel The Actor and Crazy Raver (imagine the fun Barry will have with that) and 49th Parallel (James would have a field day at the end). I would love to be there when Steve opens up with Black Or White ..... with that band who needs an orchestra? An encore of Death Trip, Cavaliers AND Ritz? Love’s a Prima Donna (the album) in its entirety?

Just some food for thought for the man who was my hero in 1974 and remains my hero now. Play what you like Steve and I will still be there.

And thank you to my two favourite anoraks for their help with the above :cheer: :silly: :cheer:
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Little performed tracks ...... 14 years 5 months ago #177

• Hobo With A Gin.
  • Ian.
Has 'Is It True What They Say ?' ever been performed live ?
I don't remember hearing it on the LAPD tour or since, but that could just be the old memory going.

Maybe it could be revived next year, Karen and Debs could do the two girls dialogue at the end !

Or even Mike J for the authentic Scouse accent. :laugh:

Re:Little performed tracks ...... 14 years 4 months ago #284

• COVENTRY DAVE
Spaced Out was done at Coventry Locarno in Aug 74...i was there ! He also did Big Big Deal at the Rainbow, late 74, (the concert for the homeless in Northern Ireland), again.......i was there !

Re:Little performed tracks ...... 14 years 4 months ago #288

• groverhead
Has anyone ever, EVER, heard SH play "Rock 'n' Roll Parade, a B-side from the early 70s, LIVE on stage ever? The current band would make a great job of that rocker..

Re:Little performed tracks ...... 14 years 4 months ago #291

• essexboybilly
SPACED OUT PLEEEEEZE
COULD BE FIRST-TIME EVER?
SPOTTED IT ON YOUTUBE TODAY, SOUNDING SO ENERGETIC. BARRY AND JAMES WILL BE GREAT FOR THE SONG

Re:Little performed tracks ...... 14 years 4 months ago #292

• essexboybilly
JUST READ IT WAS DONE IN COVENTRY 74, SORRY! 2ND TIME 2010 THEN EH???
  • Page: