Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Another Great night in Manchester

Another Great night in Manchester 13 years 5 months ago #1649

• stewart g
We've had some special nights in Manchester over the years.The Hard Rock,Free Trade Hall,The Palace and the one and only International 2 etc,and they all have great memories in different ways.
The Sound Control was a new venue for me and probably most of the audience as well,inside it had the feel of a mini International 2 and the venue didn't dissapoint.Great friendly vibe,with pleasant staff- typical Manchester really.
The show started a little later than normal as Steve had been in London on The Johnnie Walker show helping with Children In Need,such a great cause and already thousands have been pledged for a signed guitar and other items- brilliant stuff Steve!
The show itself was superb.I don't think i've ever heard The Best Years Of Our Lives sung as well by any audience as last night and the ending with Tumbling Down was perfect as the crowd took over the refrain of Oh Dear look what they've done to the blues,blues,blues for an age as Steve,Barry and James smiled with so much delight!
Steve's words just get better with time,during This Old Man,I found myself thinking of loved ones,some with us and some not.It really is an outstanding piece of work,and it hits the mark on so many levels.
I felt a depth,warmth and love in that room last night,and at times the music sent a little shiver down the old spine- Harley's acoustic show really is a unique experience.
There's a positiveness about Steve's lyrics that as I get older,i'm really starting to get,it's nice to have a past,great to have a present,but most importantly I feel for Steve and his players,plus his audience,the best is yet to come and this is only the beginning.

Much respect to Steve,James and Barry,and the wonderful Manchester Crowd,Thanks for a great night!
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Another Great night in Manchester 13 years 5 months ago #1651

• merrick
Like you I have seen Steve pretty much everytime he has visited Manchester - last time at the bridgewater hall, and before that at the Lowry in Salford and at Jillys and the Royal Exchange as well as the ones you mentioned and last night is up with the VERY BEST OF THEM
At the start of the best years he asked us to all sing along at the chorus, but did not make himself understood as we all sang it with gusto from the opening words - so much so that he messed up the words and just left us to it as he laughed along.Then a female fan just shouted out "she made us happy" at totally the wrong point of Judy Teen which brought the house down with laughter and a friendly joking rebuke from Steve.
The 3 songs from the new album all sounded great live and of course many of the old favourites were there including a slow version of MMS.
Overall it was a brilliant night and as the above poster said we gave Steve (and Barry and James who were both on top form too) a standing ovation as we belted out 'oh dear look what they done..'
I came out of there buzzing and knowing that the performer enjoyed it as much as we all did
Steve come back soon

Re:Another Great night in Manchester 13 years 5 months ago #1652

• crazy horse
:cheer: WOW ,JILLYS ,theres a blast from the past ,iv had many a happy evening there ,correct me if im wrong but i dont think it exists anymore ,a great shame ,and it was run by bikers at one point ,they really dont make clubs like that anymore,mods and rockers in the kebab shop afterwards ,tense atmos ,happy days! :P

Re:Another Great night in Manchester 13 years 5 months ago #1655

• Birchy
Jilly's, man alive, I was refused entry to a rock night there once because, in the doorman's opinion, I was "dressed too smartly, and I'm not letting you in for your own safety!"
I was totally bemused at the time and really hacked off as i had made a twelve mile bus journey on a cold Tuesday night in deepest winter to be there.
On reflection he probably had saved me from a good kicking! :S

Re:Another Great night in Manchester 13 years 5 months ago #1658

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
well what can i say?
5 o'clock on a dull dreary sunday afternoon,tired from a long trip up to glasgow and back the previous day,to see the rangers.
sunday morn spent visiting my new grandson,harry,thats six grandkids now,feeling very old when i say that!
something gnawing away in my head.....steve harley is playing manchester tonight....but jim,you already have tickets for sale,sheffield,huddersfield,nottingham,bilston and holmfirth in your drawer,my brain tells me. but its only 37 miles away,i can do that in less than an hour....shall i,shant i,....just do it jimbo you know you want to,HAVE TO.....

SO ONE HOUR AND A BIT LATER(finding a parking space was a bind but hey ho,)i am in a familiar situation,outside a concert venue buzzing with anticipation at yet another steve harley gig. but then again 38 or so years of doing this and the excitement is still there,seeing old familiar faces in the queue,smiling to myself knowingly,not only me with the bug then.
a long wait to get in to the cosy little venue,spotting old friends,good friends from down the years, greying,balding,wrinklier for sure, but loyal rebelfreaks to the core.
mike j,peter jh and his lad, blakey and his missus,neil,hazel,and dear stewart griffin,not seen stewart for a few years now,how time flies,but seems like yesterday,since the last time we met.
great to see you looking so well and sounding so positive stewart,good on yer mate!
and the man up there in his own light on stage sounding as good as ever,nay better,that voice just gets stronger and fuller as time goes by.
a fantastic set giving us the full repertoire of those 38 years of brilliant,spellbinding,mesmerising music that has been in my head since a stupid young teenager went off to london on his own all those years ago,to watch chelsea v sheffield united at stamford bridge,and coming across a busker in the tunnels of londons underground system, and being taken in by songs,words that were amazing to hear,and so unusual,so different,so captivating.......
just a few short months later,this strange looking busker had found himself on the front of new musical express,sounds,and melody maker being hailed as the new hero of british music with the release of a stupendous debut album,those slightly familiar songs,but so different on vinyl and with a band,an orchestra and choir,what a transformation,little did i know then that 38+ years later i would still be gazing in awe at this man,up there on stage in the back streets of manchester.
life is full of unpredictable twists and turns, but back then in 1971 my life took a turn for the better,the day i heard a busker echoing through the tunnels of a london tube station.
thank you steve harley,for the music,the memories,the laughter,the tears and for the friends i found on this journey.
jim pirie,chesterfield.
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'

Re:Another Great night in Manchester 13 years 5 months ago #1659

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Fantastic post Jim. How amazing for you to have seen him as a busker all those years ago.
And don't let the grandkids make you feel old. I expect a lot of us are grandparents. Mine make me feel younger.......until they call me Nanny!
Enjoy the rest of the gigs you have lined up.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
  • Page: