Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: THE FIRST TIME!

THE FIRST TIME! 13 years 8 months ago #1400

• cockneyrebel1
B) I'm interested in reading fan's memories of when was the first time they heard SH's music or saw him on TV.
I first saw and heard SH on February 10 1974, appearing on "The Old Grey Whistle Test", performing "Hideaway" (I think!).
It was the Friday after my 16th birthday and I was defying my parents to stay up and watch this particular programme......I thought I was an "adult"!! :angry:
SH appeared with the first CR, complete with bright blue eye-shadow. I was transfixed.............. :ohmy:
................and still am, all these years later. (Eye-shadow or no eye-shadow!!) B)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:THE FIRST TIME! 13 years 8 months ago #1401

• Rebel
The following was originally posted when this site first went live, and subsequently also formed the basis of an interview I did for BBC Coventry and Warwickshire radio, when they actually played RITZ as part of their 'your song' feature.

Back in 1974, when I was a 13 year teenager, I went with a friend – Dave Baker – to HMV in town to buy the ‘Band on the Run’ LP by Paul McCartney and Wings.

However, when we were there Dave pick up another LP called Psychomodo by a band called Cockney Rebel.

I had never heard of it or Cockney Rebel and therefore tried to convince Dave to stick with plan A and buy Band on the Run.
Needless to say he completely ignored me and bought Psychomodo.
Given the fact that it was his money he was spending I could hardly argue.

Although I wasn’t over enthusiastic I agreed that we could go back to my house and listen to his new LP.

Listen we did, over and over again. Particularly RITZ, which totally mesmerised us, as we played it about 20 times in succession.

So thanks to Dave Baker - from that day back in 1974 I became a life long Cockney Rebel fan.

I’ve since bought every record they have every made and have seen them at least a dozen times all over the country. Although, funnily enough I had never seen them perform Ritz in concert.

As we grew older Dave Baker eventually move away from my home town and unfortunately we never really kept in touch.

A few years ago I was due to see Cockney Rebel once more, this time at Leamington Spa, when I got a phone call to say that sadly Dave Baker had passed away the night before.

Although I hadn’t seen Dave for many years it was still quite poignant going to the concert that evening.

As I sat watching the band, the memories of 1974 came flooding back and couldn’t believe it when, for the first time ever, they actually played the song ‘Ritz’.

I have to admit to having a tear or two in my eyes as it was sang.

So this song is to the memory of Dave Baker and to thank him for introducing me to the greatest band of all time – Cockney Rebel.

Re:THE FIRST TIME! 13 years 8 months ago #1405

• crazy horse
thats why i join in with these chatrooms , to hear all the fascinating tales and adventures, which are all caused in someway by MUSIC,magic does exist ,i just feel sorry for all the people who have never experienced the power of it,and thinking of you losing your old mate reminds me of a IAN HUNTER lyric " MUSICS SOMTHING IN THE AIR ,SO HE CAN PLAY IT ANYWHERE" (old records never die)

Re:THE FIRST TIME! 13 years 8 months ago #1407

• THE PHANTOM
  • CHELSEA SUPPORTING HARLEY FAN SINCE '73, TWO SONS.
HEY REBEL, YOU HAVE GIVEN ME A LUMP THE SIZE OF A GRAPEFRUIT IN MY THROAT AND MADE ME REACH FOR A KLEENEX AND YET, LEFT ME WITH A LITTLE SMILE AND A KNOWING NOD IN YOU'RE DIRECTION.

Re:THE FIRST TIME! 13 years 7 months ago #1508

• The Honey Coloured Moon
Lying in the bath listening to Luxembourg 208 on the old MW and I heard Hideaway! Magic hooked ever since.

:)

Re:THE FIRST TIME! 13 years 7 months ago #1515

• PeterJH
First time I saw Cockney Rebel was on TOTP in 74 with Mr Soft. I remember my father saying something derogatory about the band. It only hightened my interest. I've been a follower of Cockney Rebel, and Steve Harley ever since.
  • Page: