Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nottingham 7th May

Nottingham 7th May 1 year 11 months ago #13136

• Jack
Went down to Nottingham from Glasgow for the accoustic set and was so disappointed. This disappointment had nothing to do with the performance but rather the turnout audience number wise. Steve actually made a joke about it and I could not help shouting that this had not been the case in Glasgow recently which he acknowledged. (First time I did such a thing and was slightly embarrassed).
It was a rather strange atmosphere due to the lack of numbers and simply do not understand why this was the case.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Nottingham 7th May 1 year 7 months ago #13149

• Jem 75
B) That's interesting Jack. Flip back the clock thirty years and we drove up from Oxfordshire the circa 112 miles (each way) to see/hear the 'Yes You Can' tour. It was on the way back that I realised I might need glasses, lol. Anyway, the gig that night (I still have the programme) was at Nottingham Polytechnic (as it was at the time). The gig was great, there were a few 'on the floor' ( and a bit of a scuffle broke out - very quickly calmed down, though).

Glasgow was always good for Roxy Music too, and of course Steve once got together ,a few years back, with Simple Minds...All the best Jack (P.S. like Del Amitri too, recents, 'You can't go back' and 'Second Staircase are also on my player, with (I believe) Love's A Prima Donna, Judy Teen....)

Nottingham 7th May 1 year 7 months ago #13150

• Jem 75
B) That's interesting Jack. I can 'flip back my own clock' thirty years and to Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel's 'Yes you can' tour (1992). I still have the programme. We drove up to what was then, Nottingham Polytechnic, circa 112 miles each way, from Oxfordshire.

The gig was great, there were quite a few 'on the floor' (venue similar to the scenario at InigO2, Greenwich - where I saw/heard Aimee Mann in 2008). Plenty of space to move around (no seating, I recall, maybe well at the back). There was a temporary bit of scuffling, but apart from that, all enjoyed the gig. Steve and the band gave (as always) good value for money. :)

Glasgow, I should imagine, would welcome Cockney Rebel, as they did Roxy Music, over many years. We know from a few years back (Hackney Empire?) Simple Minds are fans of Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel. I like them, Del Amitri and Big Country (miss Stuart Adamson - formerly of Dunfermline, of course). Speaking of Glasgow still, in 1981 (at Manchester), seeing/hearing Roxy Music, Billy Connelly was in the audience too, a few rows behind my brother and I. All happy days. All the best...

Nottingham 7th May 1 year 7 months ago #13152

• Jack
Not sure if the lack of numbers were due to the fact it was an accoustic set but it did leave me slightly baffled. The Human Menagerie/Psychomodo gigs will stay with me forever especially the first one in Birmingham. To hear the likes of Cavaliers and Death Trip live with a full orchestra and choir was a wonderful experience. He repeated it a few years later in Glasgow.....wow
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jem 75