Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pizza Express. 16th October plus new March dates

Pizza Express. 16th October plus new March dates 2 years 6 months ago #13102

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
What a time we had at Pizza Express last night. How wonderful to see this new acoustic band: the inimitable multi-instrumentalist Barry Wickens , guitarist Dave Delarre and Oli Hayhurst on double bass perform as if they've been together for years and while Steve jokes about hating rehearsing, these guys, when together, play as if they are one magical, musical hive mind. Never a note or beat out of time. They either truly "click" together or they rehearse a lot and I honestly don't know which it is. There's a lot of looking over between Barry and Dave: the body language, instinct and genuine respect for each others' musicianship is a treat to see and the resulting music is slick, warm and engaging.
Steve seemed emotional at the beginning of the evening though I might be mistaken? He told us they'd just buried one of his wife Dorothy's last relations in the last week or so. He also told us that his daughter, Greta had visited him in the afternoon (during the soundcheck at Pizza Express) and little Penelope, his granddaughter of two and a half years, had danced along to the music. I can imagine. She's a poppet. I saw her at Chiswick watching grandad. These things get to you. Later in the evening he mused about whether or not he'd be there to sing Journey's End ( the song he wrote for son Kerr) for Penelope when she goes off to uni adding that he'd only be 75 or 76. Lol. He'll be older than that, as we all know but hopefully Steve, hopefully. We're all (well, all of us 60 and over) counting the years we might have left now. It gets to you.
I'm hopeless at set-lists and struggling even to remember the opening song but from memory we heard (from Uncovered) Compared With You..., Absolute Beginners, , Ae Fond Kiss, How Can I Tell You, I've Just Seen a Face, Lost Myself, Out Of Time. Also Judy Teen, Mr Soft, Stranger Comes To Town, Coast Of Amalfi, Sebastian, All The Men Are Hungry probably a few more and of course Make Me Smile for the encore!!
All of these songs work fantastically well with the acoustic band. Some songs like Tumbling Down or Mr. Raffles might not work so well and we miss them but (angry text coming up)
I MISS THE LIGHTHOUSE! and that would work
Between songs there were anecdotes, some old and some new. Steve told us that Eddi Reader will be with him for 20 minutes at the Glasgow bash. They will sing Star of Belle Isle together, another duet (he's not telling but I don't think it's I Got You Babe which would be my choice) , they'll be singing Friend For Life together and he's having her sing At Fond Kiss alone which will be spectacular but I'm really rather fond of Steve's version and it's the only one I know. Still, obviously I'm really looking forward to hearing it.
Last night I took my daughter Martha and she was slightly perturbed to have seats, at the very front, slap-bang in the middle only about 5 feet away from Steve's stool. I booked these seats many months ago, as soon as Steve Harley appeared in the Pizza Express search (I was checking every day). It's amazing to sit so close though, I understand it doesn't suit everyone and it's very awkward to take photos right in front of Steve. I also don't like to mouth the words or sing along in front of him in case it's off-putting......which I think it would be. But, overall, a seat with such a glorious view is marvellous and I'll do it all again next March. My tickets are booked. Steve's playing six nights in March on consecutive weeks on the 10th, 11th, 12th and 17th, 18th, 19th. There are VIP tickets too and although they're a bit dearer it's a fantastic way to see a little bit of soundcheck, meet the man, tell him your life story and get a selfie. I never tire of it. :kiss:
Book Pizza Express here.www.pizzaexpresslive.com/search?keywords...Harley&search=Search
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
Last Edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Stella Day.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Pizza Express. 16th October plus new March dates 1 year 4 months ago #13174

• Jem 75
I enjoyed reading this Stella, thanks for writing it (just over a year ago).

As Lizzie's very recent response (Steve's latest Diary entry refers), this has inspired me to write a few words after the forthcoming Cheltenham Town Hall gig (on 19th December 2022). A few months ago, Jack has also inspired me (Nottingham more recently) - reminded me of Nottingham Poly - as it was then - in 1992.

Overall, I've only seen/heard live, Steve & Cockney Rebel, five times, all since '92, though I've got many of the records (started in 1975 and acquired the - to that point - back catalogue). Poetic Justice though (1996) is the most recent.

I haven't seen or heard Steve and the (current) band (not at all) since 2000, so I'm hugely looking forward to the 19th instant. I'm sad Sasha can't make it (the only time she hasn't been able to) because of health issues elsewhere in the family.

Have a happy Christmas and every best wish for 2023 (and all the best with your breast cancer charity walk next May).

Jem '75
Please login/register to post on the forum.