Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Aussie Traveller

Aussie Traveller 5 years 11 months ago #12721

• newiejudy
Steve mentioned in his diary that he would like to hear about his fans' travels so here goes ....
I spent a marathon 28 hour plane journey from Brisbane to London, via Perth & Doha. Spent my 1st night in London then made the journey up to Hull by train. Such a beautiful place - wish I could've explored it more. It was wonderful meeting Jackie, Sue & Gill for the first time at Riddlers Pub opposite the Hull Minster for a pre-gig meal & drinks. Also great to catch up with Jim & Lorraine too ...plus Julie & Paul later on (apologies if I've forgotten anyone). Hull Minster ...wow , what a perfect venue for Steve, Barry & James to play. The setting was absolutely amazing - tried to take in all of the beautiful stained glass windows plus the magnificent architecture. Words can't describe how much I enjoyed the concert - Steve's performance was brilliant as always, Barry & James faultless in their accompaniment. The choir were the icing on the cake. It was great to see Steve on the mend after his accident, even if he had to rely on the "Dave Allen" stool! The set list was brilliant, & of course everyone enjoyed the banter between songs. Of course for me (& Sue too I think!) the icing on the cake was meeting Steve afterwards, even better knowing that he remembered me from previous visits etc. We hugged & enjoyed a quick chat before it was time for them to leave. I can't believe how he always makes time for his fans & clearly appreciates our dedication towards him. I so can't wait for next week when I get to go to 2 Pizza Express shows in London!
I've spent a wonderful week since then exploring more of Yorkshire ...got to Whitby when the Goth weekend was on so saw lots of weird & wonderful see sights. Climbed the 199 stone steps up to the Abbey, wandered about the gravestones plus marvelled at the view down below. I even dipped my toes in the sea - water was a bit chillier than what I'm used to back home on the Gold Coast!! I've met up with a lovely old friend & stayed in Leeds with her, we've also been to Scarborough & had a wander along the seafront, even called into an amusement arcade & lost a bundle of 2p coins trying to win my fortune! We spent a day in magnificent York - more wonderful architecture in York Minster plus enjoyed ambling through the Shambles. My maternal grandfather was born in Durham, so I had to make a visit up there - recognised some of the nearby towns mentioned in my ancestry search ...eg Spennymoor & Cornforth, which made me feel rather nostalgic. Had to make the trip up to Durham Cathedral & must admit that it took my breath away, by far the most magnificent I've seen so far.
While in London I hope to check out the area where my father was born - Dalston in the East End.

I hope I've not bored you all with my travels ....
Looking forward so much to Pizza Express & meeting more of you there ...
Judy xx
Please login/register to post on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rutski747, cheri