Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Q about Birmingham 2012 DVD

Q about Birmingham 2012 DVD 6 years 4 months ago #12578

• Janine
At long last I decided to get the Birmingham 2012 DVD as a nice memento of that magic and glorious night. Watched it tonight, it's very good, but... something made me wonder. Steve Norman played the saxophone that night and also percussion, very enthousiastically and I vividly recall that on one occasion, I believe it was with Black or White, he played the tubular chimes that were so prominently on stage. I am 100% certain this was omitted from the DVD recording - rather disappointing. It cannot be that my memory is playing tricks on me because the tubular chimes were hardly if at all used in the DVD recording. Isn;t this a little strange? Makes me wonder why.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Q about Birmingham 2012 DVD 6 years 3 months ago #12611

• COVENTRY DAVE
The whole concert was edited to the state of butchery ! ! I bought it at the time.............have never watched it straight through. Stopped when i saw they'd edited out where he took his Bowler hat off and said "that's enough of that symbolism".........

Q about Birmingham 2012 DVD 6 years 3 months ago #12612

• jollyroger
Janine - maybe your sound system needs a tweak? The tubular bells are loud and clear on Black or White, I play it in my car and at home. Bit puzzled by Coventry Dave's comment that the "whole concert was edited to the state of butcherey" when he's only watched ot for a few minutes. It's a great DVD and CD - one of my favs of all time, not just of SH & CR. Try again, Coventry Dave - and don't let one little cut (probably necessary in order to fit the concert onto the hard ware) spoil your enjoyment. You were there, so you know what an amazing night it was. Enjoy!

Q about Birmingham 2012 DVD 6 years 3 months ago #12614

• COVENTRY DAVE
It's been edited, believe me. I've got an audience recording of the whole concert. Virtually ALL Steves chat to the audience has been cut. WHY.....thats always compulsive listening, with his ironic comments and wind ups. He made a point of telling us about someone who'd bought a ticket as son as they went on sale.....in the middle of the TOP row up in the gods. Fascinating ! And it gets cut out.......WHY..........???? Ridiculous.

Q about Birmingham 2012 DVD 6 years 3 months ago #12615

• Janine
JollyRoger, I don't know about the CD but I'm talking about the DVD ! Yeah... Coventry Dave's comments bring back more memories. Fortunately Steve quipping "we'd better deliver" is on the DVD !!

Q about Birmingham 2012 DVD 6 years 3 months ago #12617

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
It must be so hard to decide whether or not to record a live concert for DVD release. Some fans are simply happy with a memento of the occasion, others would like to have input on what remains on the cutting room floor and just a few take five years to decide whether or not to buy one?
I just like enjoying the concerts live and taking the memories home.
I don't watch the DVDs. For me it's not the same on the telly in your front room, cup of tea in hand, with your onesie and your slippers on.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.