Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pop Paper People

Pop Paper People 8 years 2 weeks ago #11592

• midge
The monthly magazine 'The History of Rock' looks back at 1974 this month. There's a reprint of a small interview, review of Psychomodo and a readers letter about Mr H., none of it very favourable so I'd advise you not to waste £10 on it like I did (I'd been looking forward to it for months now as well). Maybe next months will be better! All I can think is that 'journos' certainly know how to bear grudges.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Pop Paper People 8 years 2 weeks ago #11595

• GedKen
Hi Midge,

I have spent some time at the British Library going through copies of the music press from the '70s, mostly the Melody Maker (because they are available) and some (late '70s) NMEs. It seemed to be routine for some journalists (mostly NME) to slag off most acts/albums/concerts, presumably in a vainglorious attempt to make a name for themselves off the back of yet another bitter review of yet another well-known performer. It got pretty monotonous/predictable after a while... I remember a two-page interview with some herbert from the US (I can't remember his name) who, in 1975, confidently assured readers that David Bowie was washed up/finished/a spent force. Such benighted soothsayers seemed to be around for some time back then. For the most part the Melody Maker adored Mr. H. by the way. :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Pop Paper People 8 years 2 weeks ago #11596

• ipswich
I love the expression herbert :laugh: