Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: David Bowie

David Bowie 8 years 4 months ago #11425

• cheri
I have to say that I was stunned by the news that David Bowie died last Sunday, only days after press ran that it was his birthday! It came out of nowhere. I have to say that in America in the early and mid-seventies "glam rock" did not catch on as much as it did in England. I was not really a fan of the androgeny look with all the makeup, etc., but David Bowie was still a huge star over here in the United States, a household name. I remember buying one album sometime in the 80s, can't remember the name, but it had the song "Let's Dance" on it and I would listen to it often.

Since his death, everyone has been posting about him and I'm realizing just what extraordinary music he made. I was looking at one video that showed a close-up of his face with heavy blue eye-shadow on his eyes, eyeliner, etc. and as it was panning from left to right, I noticed that his left pupil was dilated while his right one was not. I thought it was camera work. Later, I read a story about a school fight he had with a classmate where as they were fighting, the classmate dug his fingernail into David's eye, resulting in a permanently dilated pupil. I had never noticed that before, but maybe somehow it contributed to his "odd" look.

I've listened to his last album, "Blackstar," and watched the videos for both "Lazarus" and "Blackstar." I was bowled over. The music, lyrics and imagery were disturbing, painful to watch, and completely mesmerizing. I realize now just what an artist he was. Completely unique. Obviously, he did not want to die. Which makes this last album so haunting. The tunes keep playing in my head. It's very sobering to think that a man of our era, who contributed so much to his art form, has died. Makes me feel ever more mortal.

Cheri
Please login/register to post on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , DaveM, Munchkin1

David Bowie 8 years 4 months ago #11428

• psychomenagerie
I've listened to his last album, "Blackstar," and watched the videos for both "Lazarus" and "Blackstar." I was bowled over. The music, lyrics and imagery were disturbing, painful to watch, and completely mesmerizing. I realize now just what an artist he was. Completely unique. Obviously, he did not want to die. Which makes this last album so haunting. The tunes keep playing in my head. It's very sobering to think that a man of our era, who contributed so much to his art form, has died. Makes me feel ever more mortal.

Cheri[/quote]

Great post, Cheri, particularly the last paragraph, very interesting, he certainly was a very unique star, and as Steve himself said "Stars don't shine any brighter,"
The following user(s) said Thank You: , cheri, Munchkin1

David Bowie 8 years 4 months ago #11432

• psychomenagerie
An incredible 19 Bowie albums in the top 100 album chart this week, with Blackstar leading the way at No. 1.

David Bowie 8 years 4 months ago #11433

• My Only Vice
"Baby, baby, brush the dust of youth from off your shoulder.
Because the years of threading daisies lie behind you now.
Don't return to fields of green where rainbow secrets were told.
Place your ragged doll with all the toys and paints and deeds.
I will show you games where the winner never wins
Let your hair hang down.
Wear the dress your mother wore.
Let me sleep beside you . . ."

How old was Bowie when he wrote those lyrics? 18 perhaps? 19? He was singing them at the age of 20. Extraordinary, such elegance, power and maturity in those words from someone so young.

Like our Steve, some just have the touch.

RIP David, and thank you.
I'd hide if I could, but I'm red in a yellow sea . . .