Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Hill and the Hibiscus flowers

The Hill and the Hibiscus flowers 8 years 3 months ago #11120

• DaveM
As a youth in my mid teens when Steve released Timeless Flight i remember sitting in my bedroom listening to the album and reading the story in the inside cover "The Hill and the Hibiscus flower". I read this over and over not really grasping the message within, or even if there was one.
When Rachel mentioned that Steve was exploring the idea of touring TF and LAPD next year it got me thinking about the story again and as my music like most nowadays is on a characterless MP3 player i was prompted to dig out the album and give the story another reading.
This time was different i had the wonders of google to assist me in my quest for understanding. I have attached a link to the page so you can read it for yourselves.
It would be great to hear Steve's view on the article to see if the author has truly captured the meaning of the story. mlwi.magix.net/the_hill.htm
Please login/register to post on the forum.

The Hill and the Hibiscus flowers 8 years 3 months ago #11121

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
Interesting DaveM. I was thinking about this the other day and wondering if the Hill and Hibiscus Flowers would be covered in any way on the (hopefully coming) tour. I used to ponder its meaning as I expect most of us did. I think it's a story that can be over analysed. I've always just thought of it as a story about how we are all in pursuit of goals in life but that it's not goals that we should be in pursuit of. Rather than that our goal should be to simply enjoy the hand we are dealt in life because situations and circumstances are continually shaping our futures. As we live and learn we only follow God's path. But maybe I'm missing something?

Could have simply been about Communism crushing dreams? Hence the big red smell. ;)
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

The Hill and the Hibiscus flowers 8 years 3 months ago #11122

• DaveM
Hi Stella, I think its one of those pieces that will mean different things to different people, I was thinking along the same lines as you, just thought it would be interesting to get other peoples views on it, especially the authors!!
i suppose this is the reason we all love Steve so much because his music and lyrics keep the little grey cells active.
;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Stella Day

The Hill and the Hibiscus flowers 8 years 3 months ago #11123

• Stella Day
I've just dug out an old copy of Street Life from Feb 7-20 1976. (I remember buying this at Chatham Railway Station on my way home from school). Of Red Is a Mean Mean Colour Steve said "There are those who don't even understand the bloody thing. Can you believe it? Bright people who played that record and have no idea what it's all about. That song's the most explicit thing I've ever written. They can't see why the BBC wouldn't play it if it was released as a single. I deliberately put it there at the start of the album; it's the key to the whole record- that and the colours. 'Timeless Flight' is a colour album. The colours are the symbols."

It's not rocket science, is it Dave? ;)

P.S.You posted your reply before I posted this.

So.....your comments please Steve.x

The Hill and the Hibiscus flowers 8 years 3 months ago #11124

• DaveM
No, not at all, rocket science is much easier to understand. :)

The Hill and the Hibiscus flowers 8 years 3 months ago #11125

• Stella Day
DaveM wrote:
No, not at all, rocket science is much easier to understand. :)

:laugh:

....and thanks, made me dig out all my old Harley bits and bobs which I've kept safe for 40 years.......which is quite surprising, considering that I've lost our weddding photo's. :)
  • Page: