Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bristol gig

Bristol gig 13 years 11 months ago #1016

• Benethi
Absolutely Phenomenal!

Steve mentioned that most people there had children and in some cases grandchildren; would just like to say that in my case it was me 'dragging' (didn't actually take much effort) my parents along (and I'm 25 and no children...)

My mum was one of those who were really there for the 'one song', although I have been trying to introduce her to the rest. I told her before we left that she would like Sebastian by the time she'd seen it live, and I was right :)

She also said (surprised) that she enjoyed it more than the Aussie Floyd gig we went to a couple of months ago, and they were fantastic too, so that's saying something...

My Dad's not really a fan at all as such, (well, he wasn't really a fan I should probably say) but he definitely enjoyed it too.

My second time at a Steve Harley gig. It was good to hear Mr Raffles, as that was missing and very much missed last time (Southampton, 2008). Missed this time was Sling it (fantastic last time), Riding the Waves, and Dino, and I think I'm just going to have to keep going to gigs till I'm lucky enough to catch Tumbling Down...but the new tracks were great too so I can't complain...

Now looking forward to the Glastonbury show, though personally I just wish they'd moved Steve in to replace U2, instead of the, er...Gorillaz :huh:
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Bristol gig 13 years 11 months ago #1017

• saaitken
I have waited 35 years to see Steve and the band play at the Colston Hall and it was better than I ever imagined. Had a fantastic evening, right from the girls at the start to the finale- everything was brilliant- thanky-you all so much for stll having so much energy and original music.

Re:Bristol gig 13 years 10 months ago #1018

• Matt B
Couldn't resist the heckle to both the Lartey Lassies and to Steve. -

The girls were great - and the guitar solo mesmerising. - I had to tell her!!

Was also over the moon when the girls joined the band on stage for the whole set - added excellent depth to the sound and the flute was subtle - yet powerfull in sebastian..

As I said, Steve, sounded pretty good to me up on the balcony.. not a full venue, but has classic acoustics.. we made up for numbers in volume.

Yes, new numbers and lack of oldies did mute the atmosphere a bit, but we were all listening and hanging on to every word.

Yes I have the album. yes I have lots of albums. - a great night was had. Lighthouse was magnificent

I really must google the girlies now, cheerioohh.
Enjoy life - This is not a rehersal

Re:Bristol gig 13 years 10 months ago #1026

• abfabmedia
This was my 31st SH and CR gig!

First at Plymouth Guildhall in 73 I think.

Always liked whatever Steve recorded and the passion, aggression and perfection he put into live shows.

Bristol was my 17th wedding anniversary and I met my Missus in Bath when I had a pub there - loads of SH fans crashed on the pub floor back then.

The song that was on the pub CD jukebox was when I met my Missus was Irresistible off yes you can which I had bought from a Dutch barmaid.

Anyway we fell in love to Steve's music and are still together :)

The Bristol gig was brilliant despite the lack of numbers EVERYONE was sat singing along or just gobsmacked at all the cool new stuff - Missus Motown even shed a tear during "This Old Man" as my Dad is 90 and on his way out. Very emotional and that is what makes great music.

CONFESSION!!!! Yes I was one of the four Steve - O merchants and the wise arse that shouted"Behind You" when you missed Stu - EE ;)

Thanks for everything Steve - Big part of my life and all that.

Never met Steve just some wonderful memories of a true legend

Cheers
Jack Ringer
Town Crier
Plymouth
www.facebookjack.co.uk
Jack Ringer
Town Crier

Re:Bristol gig 13 years 4 months ago #1793

• andyfearon
Hey MattB

Fear not, the review you mentioned is obviously fake, malicious and just plain stupid.

In fact I found two reviews of two seperate shows written by the same person, with exactly the same words for both reviews.

Clearly someone has nothing better to do than write nasty nonsense for the sake of it, and doesn't even have the sense to try and hide it.

By all accounts the Bristol gig was an absolute sensation.

I'm afraid idiots like this crop up from time to time on the internet, and rather than give them the oxygen of publicity I have removed your and Stella's posts.

Yours

Andy

Re:Bristol gig 13 years 4 months ago #1794

• Ray Smith
I did read the post that Andy deleted. Can't remember it much now as old age kicks in lol. BUT, I posted on the unofficial DB of that of Pete JH at the time and the review I saw in the local paper was as I call it from a child who knew nothing of Steve himself. (not sure if the posting here was that talked of the same review I read in the local paper?)

She was just into the music of today and should not have been at the gig FULL STOP!

Search my posting if you will on Peters site.. a link from here. I think if I recall he's done the upload at the time I sent him the review of what SHE said of the Bristol gig?

Looking forward to Steve's next diary :-)

Peed off I couldn't get my fix on this tour :-(

Ray