Sunset (Ferry, 1973). ILPS 9252. E.G. Music / Island Records Ltd.
Bed In The Corner (Harley, 1974). See nearby thread, 'Cockney Rebel the psychomodo (1974) a concept...?'
"...All day long you were a friend to me..." and
"...I said I could take much more from such a friend...", respectively.
"...from my dreams..." and
"...in my dreams...", respectively.
This time, Harley first -
"...See her flow into the night like rivers and streams...", and
"...Until morning when larks will sing...", respectively.
At the moment, I have 'rediscovered' both songs and I'm listening to each repeatedly.
Although I have each on vinyl, within the LP's 'Stranded', by Roxy Music and 'the psychomodo', by Cockney Rebel, I'm going to download each track digitally, in the near future - to add to my (playlist) stick, these days my preferred mode of listening.
I love both bands and these songs seem to follow on narratively, just considering each title, but the contexts are quite different.
Ferry's lyrics aren't always straightforward, but here, they are predominantly unambiguous, whilst still leaving room for potentially one or two double meanings. For me, this lyric is his best.
There would be no life on Earth, without our "...slow burning star...". Evolution would never have been possible.
Harley was very much relationship driven, or he was often writing about one to one, or one to many human interactions...'What Ruthy Said', 'Loretta's Tale', 'Muriel The Actor', "...Desdemona and me..." (Psychomodo), are just a few examples.
There would be no humans here on Earth, without such relationships (and no evolution from antesessors).
'Sunset' includes beautiful piano (played by Ferry or Jobson).
'Bed In The Corner' includes charming strings (played by Crocker), with slick piano too (by Reame-James), in the bridge, following two verses and a chorus, and before the third verse (and throughout the track, in fact).
'Sunset' also has a piano bridge after two verses (but there is no chorus).
Love of the natural world and its rhythms.
Love or want between man and woman and intimacy or distance.
In 'Sunset' the chords used are,
G, F, B, C#, G#, F#, D#sus2 and A (Source: Ultimate Guitar). Extended piano outro. Duration: 6 mins.
Greater tension, though with gratitude...
In 'Bed In The Corner' the chords used are,
C, G, F, Am and Em (Source: Ultimate Guitar). Abrupt string finish. Duration: 3 mins: 35 secs.
Tension, though with cool...
Sunlight. Rosebud. Senses. Mindful. The visual. The sounds heard. The tactile. Beauty. Attraction. Longing. Warm heart. Warm body. Comfort. Fundamental needs...
"All comfort in life is based upon the regular occurrence of external phenomena"
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832).