Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Suggestion to myself (shared with Rebels)

Suggestion to myself (shared with Rebels) 3 months 3 days ago #13259

• Jem 75
I've realised that there are only a few musical performers active today(?) that keep me interested in attending live gigs:

I am unlikely to see/hear either Bryan Ferry or Roxy Music again now, but I thank them from my soul, for their contribution to the (left) field and to my enjoyment over five decades (I will still be listening).

Besides Roxy, and those that hopefully or maybe I will be seeing and hearing again, I would totally lose interest (only in attending live gigs, I should add, never in listening to their music, et al), without the following;

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel / The Acoustic Band or Quartet

Sweet (the current line up and especially, Andy Scott, from 1970 - present)

Split Enz / The Finn Brothers

Suede

Pink

Soft Cell

Sparks

Kate Bush

X

Addendum: I'd add Gabrielle, in my view the best British soul-pop singer and A-ha, my close contemporaries, (A-ha) whom I've never seen/heard live, but they've 'grown' to me, with their career...

Addendum 2: We saw/heard Gary Numan, in 1997 and Shed Seven, in 1998. The former is currently experiencing something of a renaissance, the latter may have the potential to experience something similar (in my view their recent Heritage Chart singles are melodious and 'hungry'). I'd add both to this list (my dozen acts that would still keep me interested in attending live gigs). X

Addendum 3: (14 March 2024) I'll have to make this one a Baker's Dozen too (like my initial post in the 'Lay Me Down', General Discussion thread):

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...me-down.html?start=6

I'm going to add Martin Fry/ABC. After all, whilst Sasha (I know she won't mind me saying this) loves him, I like him and some of his work too. Evidence follows in this link (like the A-ha 'boys', Soft Cell, Kate Bush, Gary Numan and Neil Finn, he's a close contemporary of mine):

www.steveharley.com/forum/4-suggestions/...iful-suggestion.html

Sasha has just booked for Cheltenham Town Hall for November 2024 for us both, and the format of his show is very similar to Steve's/Barry's show (rescheduled for May 2025!!!) Unlike I've got for Steve and Barry, we're just outside the 'Meet & Greet' section, but still pretty close to the front. So at the moment for me, I've got Martin in November and (all being well - stay strong Steve X), Steve and Barry the following May.

We'd also considered Paul Weller at Oxford this year, but we were too slow. He sold out within hours! I respect him and listen to him a lot, but I've always preferred his work with the Jam (1977-1982). BW to all...
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: Addendum 3 edit (16 March 2024)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Suggestion to myself (shared with Rebels) 2 months 1 week ago #13261

• Jem 75
'Reply'

'Discovering' (Eric) Cantona last night, with his excellent pianist and cello player, has reminded me that, in music, there are always surprises, around the corner, that (also) could easily keep me interested in hearing live performances.

'The Friends We Lost' is the song that has done this, for me. I always knew he was creative, as well as a football player, as an actor (I am thinking of his own solid performance in my favourite historical film, 'Elizabeth' (c.1998) with Blanchett, Burke, Rush, Eccleston, Attenborough, Craig et al.)

Maybe I'll never lose total interest in live performance, whilst I am healthy enough to lose myself in it and enjoy? It's a question, I think, of interest, feeling and something new...or old and loved...

postscript: The last track I downloaded to my stick was by the American band, The National. I saw and heard them on Jools Holland and I loved their track, 'Space Invader' (particularly LIVE, when the guitar parts really abounded with energy). That's the kind of feeling that I'm trying to convey. Guitar, Cello, voice, lyrics, MELODY, whatever...
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: or old and loved plus reference to The National

Suggestion to myself (shared with Rebels) 2 months 2 days ago #13264

• Jem 75
I've come to the conclusion that all three of my posts under this thread are honest for me and equally a valid expression of feeling, but I've also realised that a (hit) song and an individual artist's approach including 'look' and presentation, are the underlying driver of this (whatever age I am).

Jim Cregan talks about the multi-value of penning one's own songs...

www.steveharley.com/forum/4-suggestions/...t-perhaps.html#13263

Steve Harley knows, as well as anyone, the potential value of (even) just one song, let alone, a nice 'handful' of hits...

www.steveharley.com/latest-news/1072-ste...ssets-the-times.html
Last Edit: 2 months 2 days ago by Jem 75. Reason: link to Steve's earlier news added

Suggestion to myself (shared with Rebels) 2 months 5 hours ago #13265

• StefanieR
Good evening, Jem
YES, hard to find band to listen to.
I'd like to see the SPARKS nd Kate Bush. .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jem 75