Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 'They said go West'...The Harley & Ferry parallel

'They said go West'...The Harley & Ferry parallel 1 year 2 weeks ago #13212

• Jem 75
I feel like the time is right, to add one more ‘reply’ in this series. I’m quite happy for anyone to add anything to it (within ‘the rules’, naturally) at any time – only that might stimulate me into further comment under my thread here. This last original entry has two sources of inspiration, the thread itself and the comments I recently added to the LAY ME DOWN thread, originated by Stephanie and particularly, Stella’s comments therein:

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...me-down.html?start=6

Harley said (in 2015), something to the effect that he might be out of work (purely as a guitarist – he considers himself ‘an average rhythm guitarist’) were he not, the leader of his band. For years, Ferry described himself as a ‘non musician’. They are each (in my view) very good harmonica players, which is another parallel.

I’ve spent about half of my career to date, in professional life (mainly quantity surveying and quasi-legal procedure). The other half, to date, has been made up of a collection of other, sometimes random, jobs and there have been a couple of times of recession, when it’s been harder to make a living. Whenever I’ve ‘hit’ one of the difficult periods (particularly since Sasha bought me the Yamaha keyboard c. 2006 – there was a period post the 2008 global financial meltdown and one could argue 2023 - although I’m now old enough for it to matter a bit less to me, at least), I’ve turned to music, to ‘balance out’, the less cerebral ways, I was making a living. This sounds a bit like the ‘punk philosophy’. For anyone, to ‘find their voice’.

When I ‘hit’ my fifties, was one such time and there was the added element of a minor mid-life crisis! I began working (physically) with other Europeans (mainly Poles as well as English, Hungarians and a couple of Germans) in a women’s clothes distributor and we’d often talk about popular music during breaks (or trips to and from home).

Totally unconnected with my next words – I doubt if it wasn’t for Ferry (the elder) and Harley (the slightly younger) – I’d have ever tried to play keys. As I stated under the LAY ME DOWN thread, I was never destined and I’m quite content with that (honestly).

As my tribute to Harley and Ferry, I want to leave an arrangement of written chords (no top line melody) from which I made a ballad type backing track of about tempo 70bpm (quite slow) but when I was looking at more unusual chords. I put these together, less than three months before my own Dad died and I can empathise with Steve about his, more recent loss, in that sense.

Steve could tell me whether these make any musical sense or not – though he doesn’t need to, of course, but he would be welcome to ‘play around’ with them, or some of them, should he so wish. After that list of chords, (in 2020, during lockdown), I put a bit of verse together, inspired by Harley, by Ferry (The Psychomodo, Harley, 1974 and In Your Mind, Ferry, et al, 1977) and also a small part of my current science studies. Stay well, stay your way, and all the best, Jem H (aka ’75):

The chord arrangement (H, J, 2012):

D7 sus4 - D7 - D7sus4 - D7
F7 - A7 - C7 - D7
D7 sus4 - D7 - G - F

G7 (9)

D7 sus4 - D7 - D7sus4 - D7
F - F6 - Dm - D7
D7 - D7sus4 - D7 - D7sus4

D7

THE PSYCHO-MODUS (H, J, 2020, edits, 2023 and final, 2024):

The developmental, the interpersonal,
Friends, colleagues, lovers, family.

The good,
The bad,
The not me.

Civilisation and its discontents,
Attachment to each,
Interpersonal psychiatry.

Oh Freud, Oh Sullivan, Oh Ainsworth,
Were you all, right?

The good,
The bad,
The not me.

Clinical, educational,
Applied, forensic,
Neuro, occupational,
This is DE100,
Psychology.

The Future Time Perspective,
Is no reason to rush a headstone,
Nor carve a cornerstone,
Wow, this module has flown.

It’s the ‘right-stuff’ that counts,
The ‘left field’ that stimulates,
The left and right hemispheres,
And everything in between.

This is the neuro authority,
It speaks to us all,
How to behave and survive.

Shaping every personality,
Holistic, human,
and in other minds.

www.steveharley.com/forum/7-welcome-mat/...kney-rebel-1973.html

Very final edit plus three - last two lines of a verse changed. Other minor edits, spacing/phrasing.
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: one line removed one word changed (my lyrics)
Please login/register to post on the forum.

'They said go West'...The Harley & Ferry parallel 1 month 3 weeks ago #13267

• Jem 75
Life is too short. To restrict oneself (as I did) by saying, 'never again', would reveal something of the obsessional neurotic. Continuing then (Ha! maybe continuing reveals something of the obsessional neurotic);

"European maids, hard to ignore" (Steve Harley, 1974/5)

"...She's gonna make it, she's got what it takes" (Bryan Ferry, 1974)

Perhaps Steve reads some of (our) threads or posts? If he does, from time to time, it's my view, that, to make him smile, would be good, during (for him) this difficult time, yes?! :)

Currently, I would take the view that female pop music artists, are 'outdoing' the male artists (there are still some great men 'doing it'). You know who they are, but here's a few examples;

Sia, Pink, Taylor Swift, Holly Humberstone, Adele, Dua Lipa, Marina, Mabel, (was also a fan of her Mum, Neneh Cherry, plus crush on same :blush: it was great meeting her, in 1996), Gabrielle, Little Simz, Anne-Marie, Jess Glynne, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Miley Cyrus, Zara Larsson, Sigrid, Katy Perry, Florence Welch, Jessie Buckley, Georgia, Lone Lady, Aimee Mann, Kate Bush (always present, veteran though she is), et al.

'Back in the day', there seemed fewer(?) A change is (absolutely) as good as a rest...

Danke sehr,

Merci beaucoup,

Muchas gracias,

Mange takk,

Wielkie dzięki,

Grazie molto,

Erg bedankt,

Many thanks.

Have a good weekend :)

(Edit plus one, I had to add references to Neneh Cherry and Gabrielle)
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: respecter of my 1/8 Dutch blood line

'They said go West'...The Harley & Ferry parallel 1 month 3 weeks ago #13268

• Jem 75
For both Steve Harley and Bryan Ferry, Cockney Rebel and Roxy Music, respectively, were not their first bands. Steve put some time in with Odin and for Bryan, The Banshees and The Gas Board, were precursors.

xx

EDIT 06/03/24 Back in June 2023 came the news that Steve had sold his intellectual (music) assets;

www.steveharley.com/latest-news/1072-ste...ssets-the-times.html

It's been recently announced that Bryan Ferry has sold 50% of his catalogue to the Iconic Artists Group.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: Ferry treads a similar path to Harley (song rights)
  • Page: