Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Last Night, Wolverhampton.

Last Night, Wolverhampton. 13 years 10 months ago #953

• Craig
Was a great show.
I went to this gig, a little apprehensive, as i was jaded with the recent tours. Just too similar in tone, and the perennial `set-list` debate.
Last night was probably his most consistent set ive yet to see. Of course the three or four big hits have to be played, but many needed dropping, and i think Mr H has finally found a happy balance.
As good a song as Riding The Waves is, finally dropping that from the set, gives the rest of the gig a buoyancy lacking in recent years. A band jam we dont need to hear.
Harley mentioned last night that he DOES read n listen to comments. We never doubted he did really.
SO to the gig itself, i hadnt listened to the album (in fact its playing now for the first time, havin bought it at the gig) before the show, but with No Bleeding Hearts a highlite, the others fitted in well. An exqusite Panorama, and the god-like All The Men Are Hungry pretty much sealed this as a great show, for me.
Of course, he finished with THAT song, which i believe he could drop from the set, and people would still be thrilled with the songs chosen
Other commitments mean i cant make any other shows on this tour, but my respect has been restored, and i`ll certainly be on the next tour somewhere.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Last Night, Wolverhampton. 13 years 10 months ago #954

• robertotechno
Craig, surely THAt song is essential.....some ticket buyers are not as familiar with SH's albums as you and some of us, so their night would be sort of ruined if they didn't get THAT one? It's a great way to end a long set - 20+ songs and then the climax, so with respect I feel differenly about that subject. It is one of worlds best known songs ater all. Bruce without Born To Run? McCartney without Yesterday? Stones without Brown Sugar? Unthinkable!

Re:Last Night, Wolverhampton. 13 years 10 months ago #955

• Craig
Fair points sir, but Mr H should have confidence in his back catalogue. Its a mighty beast.
Perhaps a compromise would be to do THAT song early in the set.

I really dont think people of our age group go to a show to hear one song. Id guess many people who go to see Mr H, have seen him many times before.
Tis all up for debate, im sure, but important to reiterate, with or without THAT song, last night was a fantastic gig.
Barry Wickens became a `rock` god last night after his solo on The Lighthouse !!

Re:Last Night, Wolverhampton. 13 years 10 months ago #958

• Khalekan
I can't understand why anyone would object to "THAT" song being played and being played as an encore.

Re:Last Night, Wolverhampton. 13 years 10 months ago #959

• markymywords
I think there'd be uproar if that song wasn't played.

I've persuaded many people to come to Steve's gigs purely based on them hearing it live. My reputation would be in shreds if he didn't play it, but Steve has gained many more fans because of four things I know to be true:
1. Nearly everyone knows and loves that song
2. If you offer to pay for someone to hear it live they will rarely refuse
3. Steve will always play it
4. Anyone who experiences all that comes before that song is changed forever, and will probably be a fan for life.

And yes they usually offer to pay for my ticket the next time!