Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: York (Friday 28th May)

York (Friday 28th May) 13 years 10 months ago #946

• ColinC
Well – Debs and I have just arrived home after a fabulous time in York!

First time we have been to the Opera House in York, and the venue looked terrific! The seats were excellent - right in the middle of Row G in the stall so we had a great view (mind u I am 6 foot2 so not many people block my view ;-)

The good first impressions were exceeded by the Lartey Sisters – where did you find them Steve?! Have already contributed my 75 p for the download! What talent – Ashleigh (I hope her name’s right!) voice was angelic and Faye (I hope that’s right too!) looking very bashful was a real vituasa on the guitar – even before that outstanding solo!! Greata to see and hear them later in the band too!

Had time to pop out for a quick pint in the interval – (that venue is so well located!)

And then the band came on – well I’m a mid-50’s professional – but the last time I saw the band was at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens in 1973 – with Debs – and the
memories just came flooding back – a real emotional roller coaster of a performance. Steve said at one stage (after someone shouted “Fantastic” ) that he’d made an old man very happy! – well we’re all a lot older than the 1970s but Steve, your voice took the years away!

Great to see the two original members back on stage again!

A brilliant mix of tracks from the new album (I was one of the one’s that has it already!) and some great oldies (some recent and others less so!) plenty of audience participation – the crowd really did get going – not bad for a bunch of oldies!

The failure of the min-moog on No Bleeding Hearts – didn’t detract at all (tho it looked as though the keyboard player was going to blow a fuse!

My only disappointment was that, after the third song, I was already sad that the gig was already part over. Well done to the entire team!!

Can’t wait for the next time – please don’t stop touring!
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:York (Friday 28th May) 13 years 10 months ago #948

• Khalekan
So York was numbered seating, then, Colin?

In Belfast, at the Spring and Airbrake, it was just sit where you like or else,like me, stand on the dancefloor near the stage and groove away.

I much prefer that for Cockney Rebel gigs as the gig lends itself to audience participation that one just doesn't get ai bigger auditoriums.....like when he played the Waterfront Hall twice.

Steve played the S&A before when it was known as the Limelight and that gig, along with last Monday's and his first Belfast gig in the Art Colege in '93 were way better, IMO, than those at the Waterfront Hall.

Were people allowed to dance at the end or did the bouncers stop anyone who tried?

Re:York (Friday 28th May) 13 years 10 months ago #950

• ColinC
Take your point about the freedom of the non-reserved seating venues (at Holmfirth where we last saw Steve it was mainly standing so very different)

Aisles were very small but I didn't see any bouncer activity (even allowing folk with top cameras to take photos from the front of the stage (at the sides) - flashes were annoying even from the audience bt the band didn't complain.

The audience joined in vocally quite well - and were all ontheir feet by the end of the show. Yep maybe a little mroe restrained than the open events - but I wouldn't have missed it !

Re:York (Friday 28th May) 13 years 10 months ago #951

• Les Ballad
Superb gig in York.

I thought the mix of old and new was just right. I've seen Steve 8/9 times over the last ten years or so and have never heard him play Panorama or Mirror freak, so they were pleasant surprises.

I've said before that NOBODY'S music moves me like Steves, but it was the first time that THIS old man cried at a concert when he played Journey's End.

Thought the audience were with the band from the off,and it continued all the way through but a little surprised that very few were on their feet for THAT song at the end.

Sebastian? What can you say? It's a little different each time-always amazing, always a favourite. Great to hear the flute as it reached its crescendo and I heard loads of people commenting on that track as we left the theatre.

My personal best moment (apart from tear-strewn cheeks through Journey's End), probably Stranger Comes to Town, sung with so much passion.

Or maybe it was Blinded with Tears-can't say. It was ALL superb, as ever.

Any time? EVERY time.