Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: review of stranger comes to town

review of stranger comes to town 13 years 11 months ago #610

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo

oh my gosh,this is the album steve harley was born to write and perform.every track is wonderful,no 'fillers' here,an emotional roller coaster ride of one mans observations of all that is wrong in the u.k.and the world today.a protest album of sorts,albeit a well disguised protest album.
steve opens up his heart,on love,life,war,peace,politics,family values,the present,and the bleak future,if things dont change.
rod stewart once said steve was one of britains best song writers/composers.rod was wrong,he is up there in the top five at least,the lyrics on this album are a joy to behold,a very moving stroll through modern day life from the eyes of a very well educated man,with an obvious shake of the head at the frustration of what he sees before him.mr.harley and his wonderful collection of superb trusted musicians have produced a cd of epic proportions,much better in my opinion than his last two studio albums,'poetic justice' and 'the quality of mercy'(and they were bloody good).
this deserves to catapult steve back to the higher echelons of the album charts,but in this day and age of manufactured pop pap,it probably wont,and that is a sad loss to true music lovers everywhere.
i for one cannot wait to see these tracks performed live on the upcoming tour of the u.k. and europe.as every track will sit there and do a live set full justice,
standout tracks...'stranger comes to town','this old man','2,000 years from now' and 'no bleeding hearts'.
if you are waiting to see what people think of this cd,wait no longer,spend your dough,and sit back and relish an absolute classic from a musician enjoying himself to the full. five stars is not enough!!
congratulations to steve and the band and also a mention to steves lad keir for a wonderful piano piece on 'no bleeding hearts'.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:review of stranger comes to town 13 years 11 months ago #611

• Jr
"Kerr" certainly does seem to tickle those ivories with a certain affinity!

The new album?

Well, I've heard it 4 times today, at home on big speakers and, just now, cocooned, solitary in driving rain at a constant 80 (atmospheric, certainly, but this album doesn't need the dark to 'shine'. You can give it any setting).

Needless to say, I'm compelled to share my thoughts.

It's all there, in spades.

If you're like me, you'll shut the door, turn it UP, close your eyes* and be guided by the finest musicians on a gripping, perfectly-balanced journey through beautiful ballads, relentless rock, subtlety ... with an omnipresent poetry. To do that is a great and emotional experience. An hour remarkably well spent.

Then, like adrenaline stirred by a rollercoaster, you'll want to ride again! And how quickly Faith & Virtue feels like an old friend, heard right after 2000 Years has declared the end.("Oh no", indeed!). I could loop this album all day.

My 2p's worth, as they say!

Enjoy!

* not if you too are "at a constant 80", of course!

Re:review of stranger comes to town 13 years 11 months ago #617

• rebelfreak1
  • jimbo
sorry jr i know its kerr, not keir slip of the old cumberland sausage style fingers!! and all the excitement of the album was giving this old bloke palpitations.
never mind,still cant turn this cd off.an astonishing piece of work. :woohoo:
'i fought a tiger just for the glory,the bloody battle was fierce and was gory,was like a scene from a kipling story,she sucked my blood like shes eating tandoori....'