Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: First incarnation............the best

Re:First incarnation............the best 12 years 10 months ago #2494

• Michael Carraway
It's interesting to see people's personal views, remember Johnnie Walker, Great Judge, picked The Best Years Of Our Lives as his "featured" album for Radio 2's Sounds Of The 70s last week, and played three tracks from what he called "an iconic album". I also think it SH's greatest achievment. Mr Raffles (pretty odd, Cockney Rebel-like, and the eternal monster Make Me Smile are on it....Mad, Mad Moonlight. Even if musically he got more mainstream, lyrically SH was still way-out, and still is on some recent tracks. Good to hear your thoughts, Singular Band - welcome to Harleyworld.
Do you live near any of the upcoming conert venues, see Live Dates, July. You won't be sorry if you purchase a pair of tickets, I promise,.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:First incarnation............the best 12 years 10 months ago #2495

• Singular Band
Yes I agree that lyric wise The Best Years was great but it was obviously musically very different from THM and TP and for me I struggled with that. I'm not suggesting that I did not like that album but I guess that I was always going to compare it to the two former albums. Lyrics great and music okay.

Live dates..lets see......probably Guilford is nearest to me. I'll see if Mrs Singular Band fancies it, although she has said that she is excited for me about the one off suggested concert a la The Human Menagerie/Psychomodo! Bearing in mind that the first gig/concert that she has ever been to in her 47 years was with me to see Roxy Music in February 2011! She had a sheltered life growing up don't you know!

Thanks for the welcome....good to be here!

Re:First incarnation............the best 12 years 10 months ago #2496

• Rebel
Always nice to hear how people first got into Cockney Rebel - This was my first posting when this site first came on line. Apologies for thos that have read before, but still thought it worth sharing with newcomers;

"Back in 74 I went with one of my mates (Dave Baker) to buy what I thought was going to be 'Band on the Run'. Once in HMV Dave picked up Psychomodo and despite my protests he insisted on buying it, instead of the aforementioned Wings Album.
I had never heard of Cockney Rebel, despite Dave trying to convince me otherwise by humming the tune to Mr Soft all the way home. I wasn't impressed, since 'Band on the Run' had to be better than this Cockney whatever.
However, once home and the album on my record deck, it was quickly apparent that Dave Baker had taste. The LP was played repeatedly for about 5 hours (especially Ritz, which was just mesmerizing). As a 13 year this was the best music I had ever heard. I was totally hooked and have been ever since.

It seems like yesterday, that I can still remember the screams of dismay from my mum when I felt tipped the word 'Psychomodo' on the back of my brand new Wrangler jacket. Oh to be 13 again!

I quickly brought my own copy of Psychomodo and then Human Menagerie, which if possible, was even better. Even today, HM remains my favourite LP of all time and although my wife says it is inappropriate, I long for 'deathtrip' to be played at my funeral. Not that I'm dying but can you think of a more majestic song to go out to.
Mind you the wife will no doubt have the final say, as she did when vetoing my wish to call one of our kids 'Sebastian' as and when they were born. Calling them Emma and Lucy instead!

Cockney Rebel songs have seemingly become integrated with my life. I even once finished with a girlfriend by putting the receiver of the phone to the speaker, as the words 'I said get lost, disappear, get out of my life' (mad mad moonlight live) blasted out.

Sadly Dave Baker died a few years ago. The day after his death, I saw SH and Cockney Rebel in Leamington Spa, which in itself was poignant enough. However when they played Ritz (the first time I can ever remember them doing so in the many concerts I've seen), I can honestly say it brought a tear or two to my eyes.

Having had the music of SH & Cockney Rebel in my life for so long, it seems that every song evokes some sort of memory of days long gone.

Am I just a little obsessive or maybe a little sad or have Cockney Rebel actually gotten under the skin of anyone else?

Please let me know your memories or just add a comment or two.

Anyway, well done on the site"

Just to add a comment to 'Singular Band', I agree wholeheartedly that the first 2 albums were the best CR ever produced. It's not to say that they went downhill from there on in, since Best years and Timeless Flight would have been enough to make me a CR fan in their own right, even if the first two didn't exist. But the orchestral sound of Human Mengerie and its sheer epicness (if such a word) was just out of this world. It has always been a dream of mine to see it performed in its original format. i.e full blown orchestra, mass choir, cymbals crashing, fireworks etc.....the full works. So if this did come off it would be my concert to die for!

Re:First incarnation............the best 12 years 10 months ago #2497

• Singular Band
Rebel......I like this...... and I'm with you as well concerning the first two albums being performed in their original format! I'll be there with you and many others!

Let's just hope that Mr Harley, his agent and others can get this on track to be a concert to remember to our dying days.....a sort of death trip!

Re:First incarnation............the best 12 years 10 months ago #2498

• Rebel
I don't want to be greedy, but once they had finished the first two albums, An encore of Best years of our lives, Mr Raffles, Nothing is Sacred, Understand, All men are Hungry, Red is a mean mean colour, Love compared to you, Judy Teen and finally Come up and see Me, would be the icing on the cake. Especially, if all given the full orchestral treatment. OK, so this would be asking a little too much, but it does emphasize just how good albums 3 and 4 were! Infact, I've come to the conclusion that I would put Timeless Flight above Psychomodo in my Cockney Rebel pecking order - but only just!

Re:First incarnation............the best 12 years 10 months ago #2499

• cockneyrebel1
B) Rebel, I would put "Timeless Flight" as by far the best album ever, by a very long way. "All Men Are Hungry" is, for me, the best song, or poetry to music, ever written. However many times I hear it, it remains for me emotional, evocative and almost spiritual.........Honestly! Forgive me if that souns OTT, but it's true. "Stranger", as a complete album, comes a close second to "Timeless Flight", but nothing touches "All Men Are Hungry" in my humble opinion. B)