Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: A triptych of 'later' gems

A triptych of 'later' gems 1 year 3 months ago #13186

• Jem 75
Whenever my mind (quite frequently) moves to the being of Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel/ Steve Harley, it initially gravitates to songs from the first six albums (you know what they are). Five of these I have on vinyl, but with 'Timeless Flight', I acquired this on CD, this century. The only other (solo) album of this origin, on CD, that I bought, is 'Poetic Justice' (1996), which I acquired not long after release (during my 'London period' of work). An instant track from it, for me, was "All in a Life's Work". That says it all, for Harley and for the rest of us. Heartfelt indeed. Lived and living.

Cheltenham (19 December 2022), see my separate thread (this Forum refers), reminded me that there are later gems (specifically two from the three of this thread). 'Star for a week (Dino)', from 'Yes You Can' - the Harley comeback - is one such track, full of hooks, masterful words, piano and string beauty. Just before writing this, I stumbled across Steve explaining the source/inspiration for the track (on YouTube). For me, it could also be about the first six months of 1975 (but that is another story and not in the same context - I am also a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators**! - quasi legal).

The one that 'slayed me' at Cheltenham, only a week and one day ago, was 'The coast of Amalfi', from 'The Quality of Mercy' (2005). I can also personally relate to this, because I've also seen 'it', and Italy made a huge impact on both Sasha and I, thirty years ago. I love the piano/keyboard and 'top line'.

One new method of acquiring music (today), that does fit in with my sensibility, is purchasing individual tracks from artists, so that a) they are on my laptop and b) (more importantly) so that they are on my 'mobile stick' (Walkman of old).

Anyway, a brilliant triptych. I must soon return to my health sciences study and other things, but naturally, I'll keep my eye on what's happening here. In the meantime, a healthy, happy and prosperous 2023, to you all,

Jem '75

P.S. I've picked up on Steve's view of about a year ago, on streaming. I agree with him. I've picked up also on another's view of the maths. I think that it was said that it takes an average of about 7.5 million streams to make a number one hit. For the artist (a year ago, based on the figures quoted), this amounted to around an average salary, by return.

(added) 5 March: How is that expected to maintain a band with five or six members and crew?

An overview on the whole industry (a personal view of my own) is that the 'halcyon days' of the 1960's - 1990's inclusive, are over, for most at least, in terms of record sales. Bands seem to be diminishing, as a trend. It's all about touring (for those with a sufficient fan base). This seems correlated to the success, in other ways, of the internet and social media. That's the price popular music seems to be paying. We've lived through the 'halcyon days', now it seems that it's about (Darwinian) adaptability at the root...

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...erlands-clarity.html

www.steveharley.com/forum/6-general-disc...-me-harley-1992.html

**EDIT (17-03-24): I retired from the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, on 31 December 2023.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: My retirement from the CIArb
Please login/register to post on the forum.