Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Warrington last night.

Warrington last night. 6 years 9 months ago #12349

• Stella Day
  • Reassuringly expensive.
This was undoubtedly the most memorable Harley night ever.
Jimbo arranged a little fan get-together in a pub beforehand. It was so lovely to meet up with such special fan friends especially Stewart and Jack who had their own special story to tell.
The band were amazing last night. Kuma and Paul Cuddeford fit in so well. I won't detail a set-list because I don't do set-lists but the covers Steve did really were a treat. I closed my eyes for the Cohen one which I found very moving indeed.
I don't usually travel far to see Steve but there was no-one else left at home this weekend (the "boys"having gone whale-watching etc. in Iceland) and I have to say it was worth going up north to sample a different kind of sit-down gig where half of us got up. There were arms in the air and arms around me as I was pulled into the chanting and swaying. You don't get that in Tunbridge Wells.
Glorious sunshine followed Martha and I from down south...........but it didn't last long.
Wonderful Warrington. I'd come back. X

P.S. I think Mona and Lisa are great. Next time give them five more minutes.
If you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Stella Day.
Please login/register to post on the forum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stewart g, cheri

Warrington last night. 6 years 9 months ago #12350

• trace
Loved the cover of Absolute Beginners; not an easy song to sing! Fabulous as usual.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by trace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cheri

Warrington last night. 6 years 9 months ago #12351

• stewart g
Stella it was great to finally meet you and of course Martha and we are so lucky to have Jim amongst us whose very good at this organising game.You said it so well about last night's performance from our Band! A truly special night I loved all the covers and the great improvisation from each and every one of the super talented musicians.There's obviously much much more left in The Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel tank and many more special nights to come.Steve proved again yesterday what a kind soul he is and how lucky many of us are to have his great music as a part of our musical lifes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cheri

Warrington last night. 6 years 9 months ago #12357

• Maggie Jones
Fantastic show. Great hall, and brilliant sound and lights. Steve gets better with age and the new band members have added a new dimension. Love Paul Cuddeford's guitar, really rocky and original. He's got style too.The covers, especially Absolute Beginners, were wonderful. We've seen many many shows over many years, but this was up there with the best of all. The reception Steve received was amazing and thoroughly deserved. We like joining the northern crowds. Holmfirth anytime soon Steve/Rachel???

Warrington last night. 6 years 9 months ago #12360

• mick_mckenzie
Interesting to see Cuddles (as Ian Hunter used to call him) in Steve's band, so soon after hearing him as part of Woody Woodmansey's band covering Ziggy, and before that, The Man Who Sold The World. But he's a good fit and I thought he did well,as did the whole band. Didn't expect Steve to stumble on Mr Raffles, but hey, it happens to everyone at some time or the other and it didn't detract from the gig.

The tribute selection was interesting; Suzanne, Dandy In The Underworld and Absolute Beginners. Not the most obvious choices but good to hear them. Although I was a bit worried when he played She Belongs To Me; I thought surely Bob's not snuffed it as well? And then back to Steve's material. As others have said, the sound wasn't great, but it wasn't bad enough to spoil the show. Another great night, and looking forward to the next one.

Warrington last night. 6 years 8 months ago #12366

• Stalmaross
Thanks for the update, sounds like a great atmosphere - is it true the further north Steve plays the more participative the audience ? Glasgow is always fantastically rowdy, Guildford last year was about watching and absorbing!