Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Comment on art/music thread (link included)

Comment on art/music thread (link included) 1 month 2 weeks ago #13271

• Jem 75
www.steveharley.com/forum/4-suggestions/...-jack-vettriano.html

I don't know why I didn't pick up on this 8 year old thread sooner, but years ago (probably during my short venture into art night school), I thought, 'wouldn't it be good to go to an art exhibition - by a contemporary artist - and hear avant-garde pop music, simultaneously with viewing?'

deemac has extended this by getting the subject matter of the art, to reflect the lyrics of (Steve's) music, as inspiration for new original images. Cool.

In 1983 (tapping into my own [limited] knowledge of Freudian analysis), I juxtaposed my own rendition of Henri Charriere (aka 'Papillon'), who died in 1973 at the age of 66, with my own rendition of Eveline Grunwald (one of the two women on the cover of Roxy Music's 'Country Life' album (1974)), complete with symbolic padlock, butterfly and undergrowth.

EDIT (12/03/24) 41 years after starting my own (amateur) painting, I've just realised that it was Constanze Karoli (the sister of the Can guitarist Michael Karoli), that I based part of my painting on! Both women are great, in any event. This realisation has come about only because of the internet and available search engines. It's never too late, to get it right, I suppose. xx

Ich liebe Kunst...Ich liebe Musik...Ich liebe Frauen. Ich liebe die naturliche Welt..Ich liebe Geschichte.

Cockney Rebel's, 'The Human Menagerie' (1973), is full of suitable subject matter, in my view...

X

ADDENDA

Vettriano's style (my view) is a contemporary extension of 1950's/1960's Pop Art, Litchtenstein, R, (1923-1997), maybe, but 'warmer', more graphic with again, all in my view, a greater relationship narrative, like Steve's lyrics/music. Some years back, we had a Jack Vettriano callendar - it would be nice to have an original!

As well as Pop Art, this also reminds me of the Bauhaus (1919-1933) and Feininger, L, (1871-1956), in particular (if not in form, then in colour and light and colour is the basis of all form - an example being 'Yellow Street II', 1918. Science and art are therefore total bedfellows, as are science and music. The science of the senses - the module I completed in summer 2023 (SD329), refers).

The Bauhaus even had a band (forty years later, Split Enz, were not dissimilar in approach - at the outset), who played more than jazz and of course the great Walter Gropius (founder) 1883-1969, encouraged the widest possible art styles (crafts and industry) ultimately leading to architecture at the pinnacle (his view).
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: SD 329
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Comment on art/music thread (link included) 1 month 2 weeks ago #13272

• Jem 75
PAPILLON auch inspirert Flucht. Or, in his native French, aussi Evasion inspirante (the interrelationship between English, French and German is plain to see and that's bound to be the case, with our partly shared histories).

The music of the 1970's (for me Cockney Rebel, Roxy Music, Split Enz, Sweet, Kate Bush, Bowie and the Spiders from Mars, T Rex, a few others) could provide similar (though imagined - unlike the Papillon story, which was real) adventure. Instinctively, we are drawn towards (homo sapiens), that show us the way...a combination of real and imagined.
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Jem 75. Reason: The Pleasure Principle (including all drives) + Or,
Please login/register to post on the forum.