Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Uncovered 2? - further fanciful suggestion

Uncovered 2? - further fanciful suggestion 9 months 4 days ago #13241

• Jem 75
(These are biased in the sense, that they are some of my own favourites, in regular listening, but unbiased in the sense that Harley/Rebel is/are, one of my three favourite performers and I can see him/they, covering or uncovering each, so well and offering their own interpretation of the others work)

LEARNING TO FLY (originally performed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers).

The terrific melody and the driving, swirling guitars, seem an appropriate vehicle for Harley, members of Cockney Rebel and or, The Acoustic Band, et al (including Jim Cregan again, perhaps?) Lyrically, I thought there might be a few connections, such as the metaphor relating to Steve’s childhood struggle following polio and later meeting his beloved wife. (I apologise to both if I’ve remembered this incorrectly or it’s in my imagination) but I seem to recall reading that Steve met Dorothy on a domestic flight from England to Scotland (in 1978)? Of course Tom was a friend of George Harrison (who Steve has already famously covered or uncovered, with ‘Here Comes The Sun’, 1976).

WIDE AWAKE (originally performed by Katy Perry)

An excellent narrative, another track I thought that might appeal to Steve. Very strong and emotional, slightly theatrical and I can imagine Steve drawing upon his own early days, here. In my view a song with universal empathetic appeal.

WON’T BE BROKEN (originally performed by Keane)

Driving, moving, with a defiant message (very Cockney Rebel) and excellent piano. For me endorphin/ serotonin encouraging (I can remember the night hearing it at work, in early 2014, I think).

WHAT GOES ON (originally performed by Lou Reed/ The Velvet Underground)

Selfishly, I’d love to be able to compare and contrast the interpretation by Ferry et al (1978) with a much later one, by Harley et al. Those two and the song, are important to me.

SOME KIND OF FOOL (originally performed by Japan)

I’d love to hear Harley’s vocal on this one, in my view a magnificent opus, in the manner (for me) of Sebastian (Harley) with excellent keyboards and strings.

TEARS OF A CLOWN (originally performed by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles)

Smokey is one of the great songwriters, vocalists and popular music/soul performers of all time and this choice (I feel) would be a nice juxtaposition with the preceding track. A classic and early track, for me.

COLD WAR (originally performed by Janelle Monae)

A powerful melody with a strong narrative (which I know always appeals to Harley). Some years back, I saw/heard (on TV), a live version (Montreux, I think, but can’t be certain). The vocal was incredible and very moving.

FOURTH OF JULY (originally performed by Aimee Mann)

Aimee (like Steve) is a great lyricist. The rhythm guitars on this and tempo of delivery are right up Steve and the Acoustic Band’s street.

UMBRELLA MAN (originally performed by The Searchers)

Obtained this recently on download and this was released in 1969, I think. It’s an odd one but melodious and I think Harley could do ‘something with it’.

CRACKED ACTOR (originally performed by David Bowie & The Spiders From Mars)

Powerful, manic, hedonistic. I’d love to hear Steve playing the harmonica to this one and the main part of the vocal. Like Won’t Be Broken (above), for me, endorphin producing. It’s the complexity of sounds.

ALL OF MY HEART (originally performed by ABC)

A beautiful song, melody, with sweeping roller coaster vocals. A metaphor (besides a love song) to Harley’s essence of delivery in his own performances.

I’ve stopped at eleven tracks, as I think Uncovered (Harley, 2020) includes that number.

Of course the above is totally fanciful, though reflects some of my own taste. Any number of reasons could prevent some or all of it, ever getting off the ground. Merely thoughts and ideas. All the best and stay your way. J.
Last Edit: 8 months 1 week ago by Jem 75. Reason: / The Velvet Underground - added to Lou Reed
Please login/register to post on the forum.