Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Stranger comes to town

Re:Stranger comes to town 12 years 9 months ago #2708

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
Okay everyone! I finally got my paws on the album. It was a gift from marvelous Mr. Harley himself when I so very amazingly lucky got to meet him at the Wavendon gig.

I wasn't able to listen to it all the way through until the last couple days. I sometimes listen to new albums a few different ways before I make my judgement.

First, I just let it play while I am doing something to let it wash over me, like listening to everyone speak another languge in a foreign resturant. I usually read or in this case, clean the house.

Then I take it with me in the car, more specifics come out of the songs, and they sketch a clearer drawing in my head. And then I listen over my head phones to really take it in.

I REALLY loved this album.

My favorites were Take The Men & The Horses Away, This Old Man, No Bleeding Hearts, Blinded With Tears (which had me dancing around my kitchen) Before They Crash The Universe
and 2,000 Years From Now.

They were all just wonderfully written and performed though.

I especially adored the vocals on No Bleeding Hearts and Men and the Horses when listening to it on my break at work today.

I still have a lot to discover about the album in the days to come, but I wanted to write a quick little post about how much I enjoyed it.
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Stranger comes to town 12 years 9 months ago #2709

• ffcforever
  • Primary School PE and School Sports Teacher
Like all of Steve's work - it will continue to grow in your heart and in your soul -to steal a line, sorry Steve!

Ana - do you have a complete catalogue of Steve's work or are there any gaps that I, or any of us on the forum can fill in for you - a lot of mine is good old vinyl, but I do have it on CD if it was never made on vinyl!

For you to travel that far to watch is amazing (I once travelled to Portugal to watch Lou Reed play live in 1981 - he came on Stage at 11pm and the final encore was at 2.30 in the morning) and the first time outside the US as I understand it!

I hope maybe Cheri will get to sample his music live in the not to distant future and perhaps any other US citizens who are maybe frequenting the forums on a view only basis as I understand some do!

Hark to Roualts white insanity
Clowns in drag concealing vanity
This is hardly paradise
We're still in search of petty scorn...

I have been playing Human Menagerie and Psychomodo constantly since returning from The Stables gig and its like being back in 1974 again - I was only 15 and my Mum was always banging on the ceiling when I turned the bass up on Sebastian, Death Trip and especially Cavaliers - I am still using the same Armstrong 621 Amplifier and B&W speakers but alas the Connoisseur BD1 Turntable has been replaced by a Rega Planar 2 - sorry, but that was before you were born, but some other 'old' posters like me, like to reminisce about some of our bedroom antics from our younger days!

Hope to see you again sometime, but keep posting on the board as I, like many others, enjoy reading your thoughts on our favourite live performer! B) B)

Re:Stranger comes to town 12 years 9 months ago #2710

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
You're not kidding man. They are seared into me now. I can't wait to feel how my emotions evolve over them like all the others.

I know I am missing The Candidate and Hobo With a Grin. I mean I have a couple of the songs from each or have heard them on youtube, but don't actually have them.

I too have some good old vinyl. I have the first 4 albums on vinyl and some singles. I mean business man. They are so great to just put on and hear all the way through like that. Oh yes. I am not sure what model my player is, I got him at a second hand thrift store in Rochester. His nickname is Zaphod Beeblebrox because he has two tape deck heads. Get it? *groan* I'm awful. Luckly no one is banging on the ceiling below me these days. I can play my records (and CDs/mp3s) as loud as I want. (Mmmm Cavaliers...) Ah the joys of living alone in the country. I've been blairng Stranger on my friend's boom-box thingy. I bet the neighbors are loving that.

I will be listening again when I clean the basement tonight. It's been really hard to clean up after my dad all by myself and the CD is a real comfort.

I saw Lou in uh...1999 me thinks. In Toronto. Thankfully, now much older obviously, he came on early and I'd imagine left on time too. (I will never know I had to catch my bus back to Buffalo and leave early.) Steve was a million times better anyway. IMHO.

I am working on Cheri! I know it's not an easy feat to cross the world like that, but it was worth it to methe first time and will be again!
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel

Re:Stranger comes to town 12 years 9 months ago #2711

• cheri
AlizarinStag wrote:
I am working on Cheri! I know it's not an easy feat to cross the world like that, but it was worth it to methe first time and will be again!
Ali, I'm looking at the December dates and am trying to figure out a way to make them work. Looking at the last three dates that are available. First, I must find my birth certificate because I don't even have a passport. That may be a big hurdle, since my Mom died and I don't know where it is. Reading about your trip has enthralled me. Plus, if I don't get to go in December, who knows when I will be able to again, since Steve is taking so much time off next year. :( What are your thoughts?

Oh!! And thanks for the flyers from you and Jim (I assume Jim is Rebelfreak1). I got them today!! Much appreciated. I feel that I must follow my passion and see Steve somehow, I just don't know how I will get around England without knowing where I am going. Scary!

Much love, Cheri

Re:Stranger comes to town 12 years 9 months ago #2712

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
I am still hoping that he meant that the big Human Menagerie and Psychomodo album concerts were for next Nov/Dec and that's when I'd be going. I am for now, interpreting what he wrote as no rock shows for next summer in prep for the big ones at the end. If I am wrong, mea culpa, but yeah, I'd be going then if that's the case. Don't want to be traveling in summer 2012 England anyway.

Yep Jim is rebelfreak1 and a real awesome human. Glad you liked them. :)

I'd help you plan your trip if you went, now that I know the ins and outs!

PS: Since I am so hooked on Stranger right now, what were your thoughts on it?

Re:Stranger comes to town 12 years 9 months ago #2713

• cheri
I think Stranger Comes to Town is a fantastic album. Steve doesn't write a bad song. My favorite song is "Faith & Virtue", but the whole thing is good.

When are you thinking of going back to England? I was thinking of bringing along a friend. Would be great if the four of us could travel together (you and your friend, plus us).

And, do you really think that the December songs are going to be the first two albums? I'd hate to think that I would miss "Riding the Waves", "Saturday Night at the Fair", "Best Years of Our Lives", or "Coast of Amalfi", etc. I was assuming that the December concerts would be something like the ones you saw, with songs spanning the spectrum of his work. Then, he would do the first two albums with full orchestra and choir in the studio. I could be wrong. One never knows what Steve has up his sleeve. ;)

Your trip has really inspired me. I've never been touched enough by an artist to travel so far to see them until now. Steve is an absolute treasure. I must find a way to make this work. :)

Cheri