& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Birmingham Symphony Hall

Re:Birmingham Symphony Hall 12 years 2 months ago #3892

• cheri
Daz401 wrote:
Pandorah, you read my mind about:
2'000 years from now (that will be 1 in my vote)
the lighthouse (2nd)
riding the waves (3rd)
You're asking for the almost impossible because every song Steve writes is good. I would give almost anything to hear "Riding the Waves", though, or "The Best Years of our Lives." :)

Cheri
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Birmingham Symphony Hall 12 years 2 months ago #3898

• graham E
Cheri- but they just don't fit.

We have heard Riding the Waves ad infinitum. Surely more contemporary numbers, less known songs like Rock and Roll Parade, Big Deal, Throw Your Soul Down Here and Spaced Out make more sense. I am with Debs on those suggestions.

Maybe finish Part 1 with Judy Teen?

The final encore..no MMS, but maybe a couple of others thrown in. Because Steve probably needs an orchestra to do Black and White justice, and we have been asking for SO LONG to hear it, I can see the logic. Its the one and only chance-even though it seems a bit anachronistic.

I can see an encore of Black and White and Best Years (simply because I can hear the string arrangement and the simple theme of that song makes it feel appropriate somehow).

But spare us what we have been hearing for years- there is really no need for him to play to the gallery on this night!

But I am sure Steve will do the right thing.

Re:Birmingham Symphony Hall 12 years 2 months ago #3899

• Mr Raffles
Yes,to me Riding the Waves and Lighthouse do NOT belong at such a concert. This is about the first two albums and a celebration of that particular era of Cockney Rebel and it's music.The only concession i'd make is Black or White. It's a bit out of context but with a full orchestra and choir after 37 years we deserve to hear it performed live and how it was meant to be heard. Just a note about Make Me Smile.As far as i know the only time Steve's not included it in his setlist was when he did a gig over in America.There's a concert report stating that for some reason the song was omitted.It would be unthinkable to attend a Steve Harley concert these days without hearing it,and rightly so.....BUT as i posted under another thread i sincerly hope it is rested (just this once!!)because the song is a bit of a 'sneer' at those early Cockney Rebel members who walked out on Steve all those years ago. Maybe we should forgive and forget and instead look to celebrate their musical input towards two of the greatest albums ever...The Human Menagerie and The Psychomodo.

Re:Birmingham Symphony Hall 12 years 2 months ago #3902

• Rebel
The concert is all about the first two albums, but come off it, No 'Come up and see me'?!

I know we have all heard it a million times, but how many of us have heard it with a full orchestra and choir, and at such a venue? The obvious answer is none of us!

As far as I'm concerned, once the first two albums have been performed, then as an encore, Steve should be able to play any songs he wants, and not necessarily fitting with the theme of the first two albums.
This is a once in a life time concert, which I for one would like to eek out as long as possible, therefore the more songs we get to hear the merrier.

An orchestral version of Come up and see me, Mr Raffles, best years, Understand, red is a mean mean colour, Love compare to you, Black or White.....etc etc would be a real threat. In fact lets have the concert in 3 parts. Human Menagerie, Psychomodo and the best of the rest.

I know that time constraints means that this won't happen, but please stop this nonsense of dissing MMS!
The more songs he plays the better, and if I go home with MMS ringing in my ears I will be more than happy.

Re:Birmingham Symphony Hall 12 years 2 months ago #3907

• graham E
But Rebel, surely he is trying to do something different here?

Don't get me wrong, I won't be averse to hearing anything done in this format. It's just that I think sometimes Steve is simply compelled to include songs like MMS because he is "expected" to by the masses.

Wouldn't it be refreshing to be freed of that need to play to the gallery and do something essentially different- to take us back to an era, and perhaps dust off a few more chronologically suited numbers? The sound of early Cockney Rebel was alsways different to anything else- no lead guitar for a start- so I am hoping for a trip back to those times. Chucking in the old favorites would seem less fitting than airing other songs we haven't heard in a while that are more appropriate to the occasion.

In fact, this show is specifically billed as him playing THM and Pschomodo- not Steve playing the hits and the "big songs". He won't need MMS to get a standing ovation I am pretty sure. Forget it and be free Steve, that's what I would recommend!

Re:Birmingham Symphony Hall 12 years 2 months ago #3912

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
Rock and Roll Parade or Big Deal would be sooooo awesome. Lovin' MMS as I do, I'd still trade it to see Big Deal live in a millisecond. No one hate on me for that, I'm just all about loving the crap out of these unbelievably fantastic songs. It might be the only chance they have to get played!
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel