Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Psychomodo/Human Menagerie

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 2 months ago #4160

• guisboro
  • Andy
Somewhere in my loft I've still got the program from my first Cockney Rebel gig, and I still remember it cost me a wopping 30p to purchase. I might have to try and find it to jog my memory a bit more.
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 2 months ago #4253

• Snowy
Well after Jimbo clarified the date of the gig at the Empire Pool Wembley for me and Jean said she was there as well, I thought I'd add how I got into Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel.

I used to go record hunting in a shop called King Discs in Greenford, Middx when I was at school. Couldn't find anything new and interesting, so hopped on a bus to West Ealing and went to a small record shop in a dead end mews (can't remember the shop or mews). I spied The Human Menagerie and was captivated or even mesmorised by the cover. Didn't buy it on the first visit, but the cover kept haunting me so went back and bought it on the second visit. This was either 1974 or possibly 1973 I think (I'm sure Jimbo will clarify for me). I loved 'What Ruthy Said' and was gradually captivated by all the other tracks in turn. This was so different from Alice Cooper and Mott The Hoople. Hooked for the rest of my life and loving it !!!

With respect to the gig at the Wembley Empire Pool in 1976:
This was my first Steve Harley concert. I had the first row of seats behind a metal barrier after the first block of 10 or 12 rows. Fantastic concert and was there with my mate Jim. When the encore came the crowd rushed the front, so it was now or never !!! Vaulted the metal barriers, with bouncers just missing grabbing us to join the sweating, heaving sea of fans some three of four rows back. Emotional, tears in my eyes, excited and standing on the chairs we sang (with Jean!!!) for all it was worth... 'OH DEAR, LOOK WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO THE BLUES, BLUES, BLUES !!! again and again and again. Even after Mr. Harley left the stage. Magic.....and I'm close to tears again !!!

Can't wait for Birmingham Symphony Hall and see you all there!!!

Snowy

Re:Psychomodo/Human Menagerie 12 years 2 months ago #4256

• AlizarinStag
  • Mr. Jinx
Sweet story Snowy! Thanks for sharing it. I know I was not around back then but I am VERY familiar with the bands of the period and you are right, it was SO different than anything else happening at that time. Welcome aboard sir! :)
We've all been through bad times, but you gotta pass on the good stuff to others, not the bad. "If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do." -Angel